20g tank. week old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kemmett19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started this tank last Friday and I have a few questions. I bought a amonia meter and have had it stuck inside the tank since yesterday so far it says levels are less than .02ppm. I Havnt changed the water in a few days and I'm wondering if its possible that my tank has finished its cycle in only a week. Second I put an air stone in yesterday and now there little tiny white specs all around the tank I suspect them to be tiny bubbles but us this normal.

Did you add an ammonia source such as pure amm, fish food, or live fish? If not, you not cycled yet. I would advise that you invest in a test kit (such as API fw master test kit) so you will be able to monitor your tanks water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph). Please do not hesitate to ask questions!

Ok! You still have detectable ammonia so your tank is still cycling. You are probably still in the first phase of bacterial growth (amm>nitrite conversion) & you will need to stay on top of daily testing & water changes to keep your fish healthy. This is why a water test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph is so important. Please read up on 'fish-in cycling' & the 'nitrogen cycle' so you can understand what is happening in your tank & how to keep your fish healthy while its cycling. Please ask questions if you are unsure or dont understand anything. :)

There are links below in my signature. The one called new tank with fish explains fish-in cycling. The Freshwater Aquarium Guide might help you as well. Good luck!

Reactions: jlk
Back
Top Bottom