20gallon light suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmiller383

Aquarium Advice Regular
IMG_7568.jpg
Yesterday i purchased a 20gallon tank with a stock t8 light on it and i want to upgrade to a better light so i can turn it into a planted tank. Was thinking low-medium light for some easier to grow plants. If you want to add in some plants with light suggestions have at it i liked the ludwigia i used to have in my old low-medium 12gallon

Just swap the t8 out for a t5ho and u should be fine [emoji106] saves buying a whole new fixture. If u want a fancy led go with a chirhios a series or a finnex planted plus SE

Don't the T-8 and T-5HO bulbs have different diameters? Just asking because I've never looked at them that closely.
Plus, there may be differences in the ballast requirements (probably not much since the T-5 may require less startup "juice")

Don't the T-8 and T-5HO bulbs have different diameters? Just asking because I've never looked at them that closely.
Plus, there may be differences in the ballast requirements (probably not much since the T-5 may require less startup "juice")

Good point, have no idea. I thought they would all just be standard fluros

View attachment 298862
Yesterday i purchased a 20gallon tank with a stock t8 light on it and i want to upgrade to a better light so i can turn it into a planted tank. Was thinking low-medium light for some easier to grow plants. If you want to add in some plants with light suggestions have at it i liked the ludwigia i used to have in my old low-medium 12gallon

That's a 20-regular, right, so 16" tall, about 14" to the top of the substrate? The Finnex Stingray might be a good choice for low-light plants, with PAR somewhere in the 25-30 range.

Im thinking about going with these lights it looks like it would do a good job growing the plants.. two cfl 6500k 60w lights i found a post from a while back that someone was running two similar and his were doing real good.. i used to run one just like it on my 12gal and it did good. And yes it is the standard size 20 and im thinking about ordering eco complete for it with the lights?

Back
Top Bottom