20L Low Tech Planted Scape Stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsabadjoey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I have been wanting to set up a 20L for a while now and started off with two 6G Eheims a while back. I started off by using them as grow out tanks for some plants I bought practically dying from Petco/Petsmart. Had to do my scapes on a budget and well...now that I had the chance to hit up the $1 per gallon sales I could not be happier. I call this tank my Cichlid Manor. I've got a pair of juvenile Bolivian Ram Cichlids (Livia & Boli) and 4 Oto Cats to handle the algae growth in the tank due to the intense amount of light I like to provide all my tanks. As for ferts I dose twice a week with Flourish and some Flourish Excel about 3 times a week. My substrate is FloraMax. I am running 2 Eheim AquaCorner 60's I salvaged from my smaller tanks and using the lights as well.

Plants:
Anubias Nana & Nana Petite
Cryptocryne Wendtii Tropica
Cryptocryne Wendtii Green
Anubias Hostofolia
HygroFern
Trident Fern
Amazon Sword
Java Fern
Narrow Leaf Fern
Japanese Asplenium Nidus Fern
Flame & Christmas Moss

Fish:
2- Bolivian Rams (M&F PAIR)
4- Oto Cats

Inverts:
RCS colony

I was wondering if you guys could recommend any other fish I could possibly add or am I pretty much stocked?

I love the way it is set up now. To be honest I am traumatized because I had some Neon Tetras that had Neon Tetra Disease and little by little they slowly started dying in the most painful looking way (twitching uncontrollably and swirling all over) even after quarantine and it broke my heart. I have had this stocking for months now and just want to get some advice and maybe even see if its okay. I've heard that Otos should be kept in schools of 6 or more in order for them to be more outgoing but mine seem extremely happy. My Rams are also paired up although lately I have noticed the female flaring up and chasing the male away.

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 59
You have room for more fish. I’d up the Oto numbers a bit more. I think you’d be good to add one more schoaling fish. There are plenty of options. Ember Tetras, Cherry Barbs, and Lemon Tetras are just a few options to consider. Any peaceful, hardy schoaling fish that stays under 2” should do fine. You can also consider larger shrimp species and snails.

What are your tank parameters, including temp/ pH, etc.

One of my favorites for a smaller tank is Chili Rasboras / Boraras Brigittae and you can get a bunch of them because they are so tiny (a dozen or more). They prefer top top part of the tank for swimming.

Back
Top Bottom