22 days no nitrates ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodgy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Been cycling my 16g tank with pure ammonia for 22 days now , after 12 days I could successfully turn 4.0ppm of ammonia to 0.25 in 24 hours , so then started dosing 2.0ppm every two to three days

On day 9 my nitrites spiked and seem to be off the chart and the following day my nitrates where 10ppm the dropped to 5ppm and have been at 5 ppm for the remaining 13days

is this normal ?
how come my nitrates are only 5.0pp but I am turing 3.0 ammonia to 0 in 24 hours shouldn't they be higher ?

or could my prediction of the nitrites of the chart actually be false as its only 1.0 ???

how long do fishless cycles normally take ??

Been cycling my 16g tank with pure ammonia for 22 days now , after 12 days I could successfully turn 4.0ppm of ammonia to 0.25 in 24 hours , so then started dosing 2.0ppm every two to three days

On day 9 my nitrites spiked and seem to be off the chart and the following day my nitrates where 10ppm the dropped to 5ppm and have been at 5 ppm for the remaining 13days

is this normal ?
how come my nitrates are only 5.0pp but I am turing 3.0 ammonia to 0 in 24 hours shouldn't they be higher ?

or could my prediction of the nitrites of the chart actually be false as its only 1.0 ???

Don't dose any more ammonia now. You should start to see nitrates in the next few days.

is this normal ?

Have you been monitoring your ph at all? What does it read now versus when you first started? Have you performed any wcs yet? Fishless cycles can take 6weeks on average but sometimes it's longer.

Have you been monitoring your ph at all? What does it read now versus when you first started? Have you performed any wcs yet? Fishless cycles can take 6weeks on average but sometimes it's longer.

hi jlk yes I have it has been pretty stable , was 8.2 one and 8.0 a few times but 85% of the time its 7.8 is this normal ?

Your ph is fine! If things continue to remain unchanged and your nitrites have been off the charts for three weeks or longer, I honestly would do a large wc (or two) to drop your nitrite level down to 1ppm (closer to zero is preferable) then add a low dose of ammonia and see if things progress from this point. Keep us posted! :)

Back
Top Bottom