24/7 Light for my planted community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lamchiheng

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, new to the forum
I'm new to a planted tank. For about a month, now I just got quite a bit more plants (don't know their names).

My setup in general:
I currently have a stocked 20 gallon tall ( 24''L x 13''W x 16''H ) community tank with 4 Neon tetras, 2 Guppies, 1 Common Platy, 1 Male Gourami and 1 Albino Pleco. I have the Marineland Aquatic Plant LED 24'' for this tank. DIY CO2 reactor. Current PH 7.4 with dKH 6.

My ultimate lazy plan: I plan on leaving the bright light on for 12 hours along with the blue LED, and for the other 12 hours (nighttime) just the blue LED. I want to leave my CO2 reactor on all the time.

Supplements: I dose Seachem Flourish Excel daily at recommended dose along with weekly Seachem Flourish.

The primary reason why I want to leave the light on is I'm running a DIY CO2 system with a glass diffuser and a manual valve. I really want to skip the whole turn on shut-off valve schedule. I want my plants to continuously produce a net positive amount of oxygen in the water. Do plants photosynthesize with the blue LED?

Before I do it I Just wanna ask if 24/7 Light is going to be awesome/okay/actually bad for JUST my plants? I heard one of the side effect of running 24/7 light is the dreaded algae bloom, so I got a 10W UV sterilizer hooked up and ready. What other side effects are there?

As of my fish before real plants came along, except the Pleco, I know all rest when dark, and will also rest with dimmed blue only light. Now with plants I even see them resting for quite a bit of time under those big leaves under full light.

I wouldn't leave the blue light on for 12 hours. It doesn't aide plant development at all. I've been doing tons of research into lighting and what I found is not kelvin or wattage rating is the best to determine light source but spectrum with wattage vs depth. To grow plants properly, you need a good spectrum of lighter blue and reds for plants to properly grow. As for your CO2 problem, If you are not having algae problems then just put a bubbler in your tank on a timer starting it when light goes out and stopping it 1 hr before lights go on. Another thing is most people use 6-10 hours of lighting for their plants. Again, if no algae problems I wouldn't worry about that either.

The only thing you would achieve with 24/7 lighting is algae growth (and not just the green slime that gets on your aquarium walls, but black beard algae).

Not only will your plants suffer, but your fish will also be stressed. Everything needs sleeping hour too.

Back
Top Bottom