24 gallon jbj nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's fine. I'm not rushing into anything yet. I believe mine has a refugium but I think one of the kids threw my papers somewhere lol. There are three different areAs in the back that fill with water and it came with a square filter media and some weird round things I guess I store back there as well. I guess one of the compartment in the back is considered for the use to store some bugs or something.? Lol.

One fish I have to get is a clown. I'm undecided on what I can use to clean. The kids are kind of scared of crabs and shrimp. I might be able to talk them in to a shrimp but not sure

Huh... Live aquaria recommends a 30 gallon I didn't think 6 gallons less would be enough to say with certainty they could not survive. I would, however, recommend a refugium to assist in the pod colonization and still wait a good year before trying.

LA is usually pretty good on tank sizes but they're dead wrong on this. A 30 would never support mandi. I 100% agree with bribo

LA is usually pretty good on tank sizes but they're dead wrong on this. A 30 would never support mandi. I 100% agree with bribo

There are several accounts on reef central of people keeping mandarins, that only eat pods, for years in 30 gallon tanks so you cannot say they never could, unless the people are lying I suppose.

Now I think we can agree that as a general rule it should be avoided on anything less than maybe a 55 or 75 with a lot of live rock along with a refugium and they are by no means a beginner fish.

Fortunately for the op she is taking the time to research before getting the fish rather than buying it and then doing the research.

How long should I wait to add coral? Is there a limit to them? I'm looking for something hardy and pretty. Should I just stay with a clown? Or do you think a couple fish may work? The more colorful the better. :)

I'm in the camp of adding coral when things are good and stable, three months or so. A lot of members have had success adding coral right after the cycle.

I know it was asked but what kind of light is it? The light is the most important for coral.

As for fish a rule of thumb used is 1 inch of grown fish per 3 gallons so that would be 8" of fish. I would say 3 fish would be perfect- a smaller clown like occellaris, a yellow striped cardinal fish, and a purple firefish would be cool. Go to liveaquaria and select "nano fish". Whatever you decide be sure to add more aggressive fish, like clownfish, last.

How long should I wait to add coral? Is there a limit to them? I'm looking for something hardy and pretty. Should I just stay with a clown? Or do you think a couple fish may work? The more colorful the better. :)

Assuming you cycle your tank patiently and carefully, and do WCs after the cycle to get rid of nitrates, you can add coral pretty much immediately IMO. That's what I did.

My 18 month old and niece may have hid the papers with specs or my old father may have not knowingly threw them out. I'm having a hard time telling what it is I have lol

I know they are led and the aquarium had good reviews. I ordered it over the winter maybe from foster and smith. Now I'm drooling over other aquariums but I shouldn't throw a different one on a credit card and further my debt. I'm going to a store tomorrow to check some things out

There appears to be a par value diagram on the website which looks like you will be good to support most coral just know that higher light-demanding species will need to placed higher up.

I would start with some zoas/palys and see how it goes. Just get a frag so if it doesn't make it you're not out of a lot of money.

Thank you for all your help. I really hope this all turns out ok eventually. I read something briefly about clowns liking some kind or coral but I'm not sure if that was true.

Thank you for all your help. I really hope this all turns out ok eventually. I read something briefly about clowns liking some kind or coral but I'm not sure if that was true.

Glad to help! Regarding clowns, they will often host anemones or even some types of corals. I, not familiar with which types exactly, but I knows most clowns will take to most types of nems.

Also, I'm not seeing tank sizes for clean up crews. So I'm wondering how many shrimp or snails I should get.... Unless I dare get a very small star or blenny. Not sure what works best either but I have a feeling I May battle algae. My condo has huge windows overlooking the Ohio river top to bottom so it's hard to keep sun out of here Or could I mix and match a few cleaners

I wouldn't try the anemone they need very stable conditions and high light. Clowns don't "need" anything really and sometimes even host inanimate objects like a powerhead or a statue.

Have you done the water test?

You should be getting nitrates once the cycle is complete. I think dingus was on to something and you may not have fully cycled. Try putting ammonia into the aquarium (dead shrimp or pure ammonia) and see how fast it is converted to nitrates. If your cycle is complete it should happen quickly.

Back
Top Bottom