240 gallon planted beast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442306267.026715.jpg

Finally got the beast set up! Everything is in so far (finishing planting is a work in progress)- co2 set up tomorrow and the first pwc. The scape is just a little flat for me....kinda....straight?? What would you do?

Side note- this is my first venture into pressurized! So I'm kinda nervous. I have diy on the smaller tanks !!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Those are some nice pieces of wood. I especially like the branchy one on the left. Just a suggestion but it's very green on the right side. Is there another red plant you like that you could add to even it out a bit? I'm no aquascapist but I really like the touch of red on the left. What about red tiger lilly? I don't know how that does with CO2 but it's a very nice plant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Niiice. I personally like the green jungle look.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sahhhhweeeeeet!! I too appreciate the scape:)
Do I spy a troop of rainbows up there?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Sahhhhweeeeeet!! I too appreciate the scape:)
Do I spy a troop of rainbows up there?

There is! I have about 6 bosemani, 2 Australian, 3 Madagascar and 2 turquoise in there- adding more soon!

I would really like to add some red, and thus far haven't really been able to get them to grow well. I have some dwarf red lotus on the other side, but they're a little more brown with a hint of red lol...hoping the co2 and higher level ferts (iron) and more light on that side will help ;)

You'd never know I had big clown loaches in there because they hide inside that darn log all day lol...but I do love that piece...snagged it for a crazy low price!

Any suggestions on more plants to use?

Ill send you a boat load of ludwiga sp. Red.. super easy and very very red..

If I can get it lush and bushy looking, some rotalla wallichi would be amazing behind the dw on the left!!

Wow! Talk about big tanks! Those clowns will love that home so much more than a 10 gallon that some people would put them in! I love the jungle! Once everything grows in it will look great! Maybe some big swords in the corners?

There is! I have about 6 bosemani, 2 Australian, 3 Madagascar and 2 turquoise in there- adding more soon!

I would really like to add some red, and thus far haven't really been able to get them to grow well. I have some dwarf red lotus on the other side, but they're a little more brown with a hint of red lol...hoping the co2 and higher level ferts (iron) and more light on that side will help ;)

You'd never know I had big clown loaches in there because they hide inside that darn log all day lol...but I do love that piece...snagged it for a crazy low price!

Any suggestions on more plants to use?

Maybe some new Guinea red rainbows? One of my favorites and it will add some red to the tank

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your tank looks very nice!
You should share more details;
lights,filter, completed stocking?
How are you keeping track of your co2?
Bubble counter/drop checker/ ph controller unit/timer on solenoid.......

Ahhh I'd love to see pics of the clown loaches! How big are they? That looks like an absolutely wonderful setup for them! Gorgeous tank!

The clowns are about 5" and I NEVER see them lol. They hide in the big dw on the right haha ? I have a fluval fx5 and a cascade 1500 running for filtration- way over done but you can never have too much filtration! I have kind of a random assortment of lights....I used what I had on the 125 that got upgraded to this and got a couple more. So I have a couple of Finnex Ray 2, 3 Finnex planted+, and a beamswork 72" pent that I found for a STEAL otherwise I'd have done all Finnex haha. I have 2 more bosemani and 4 roseline barbs in qt, and I've since added about 26 neon tetra for some shoaling smaller fish....Id REALLY like some parkensoni rainbows ...and more red minors.....

Oh and for co2 it's timed on a solenoid but just monitoring via drop checker and I'm starting out nice and slow with it lol....

Ill send you a boat load of ludwiga sp. Red.. super easy and very very red..

Awesome!! I love that plant.....shoot me details in pm!

The clowns are about 5" and I NEVER see them lol. They hide in the big dw on the right haha ? I have a fluval fx5 and a cascade 1500 running for filtration- way over done but you can never have too much filtration! I have kind of a random assortment of lights....I used what I had on the 125 that got upgraded to this and got a couple more. So I have a couple of Finnex Ray 2, 3 Finnex planted+, and a beamswork 72" pent that I found for a STEAL otherwise I'd have done all Finnex haha. I have 2 more bosemani and 4 roseline barbs in qt, and I've since added about 26 neon tetra for some shoaling smaller fish....Id REALLY like some parkensoni rainbows ...and more red minors.....

How many of them? The more there are, the more they tend to come out. I once had two that I never saw, and within two weeks of adding three more they barely hid at all! Even just adding other kinds of loaches helps. Some angelicus would look gorgeous in there. Loaches love flow so I bet they love the overfiltration :D

I have 4 clowns and one yo yo loach....and 2 more yo yo and 2 clowns in qt....hopefully more will help. They're new so they might just be nervous still. I see one brave clown from time to time but that's it

I have 4 clowns and one yo yo loach....and 2 more yo yo and 2 clowns in qt....hopefully more will help. They're new so they might just be nervous still. I see one brave clown from time to time but that's it

I imagine adding those 4 will make them bolder. The only other thing that makes loaches bolder is more hiding spots but it looks like you have plenty. I hope you can get some pictures of them, I love loaches :D

Echinodorus purpurea is also a lovely reddish sword plant to consider :)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

The clowns and roselines are an EXCELLENT choice together IMO!!
My two schools in my 180 won me my POTM!.
I have 11 clowns and 12 roselines.
The clowns are between 10-15 years old under my 'care'.
They will hang out together eventually IMO.

99907-albums14345-picture69024.jpg

Back
Top Bottom