25 gal Yoyo Loach tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nwchang

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

My grandfather has a 5 year old lone Yoyo/Pakistani Loach (~3") in a 25 gal tank.
I was doing research to spruce up the tank and maybe add a few colorful fish/larger shrimp.

Any stocking advice on tank mates for the loach?
I'd really like a shrimp (bamboo/sulawesi) or mystery snail to help him keep the tank clean as well- anyone know if they'd make good tank mates?

Any advice would be helpful- thank you!

Hello, welcome to the forum :)

I'm not sure if the tank size / present stocking will allow it, else would suggest another two yoyo loaches as they prefer a small school. I have two remaining ones in the tank that are more sedate now but "play" together still.

I don't know about shrimp but I've never had trouble with my loaches from fry to larger fish. Ramshorn and pond snails will get eaten by them. Mystery or trapdoor snails I have found are too big for them (although mine did try).

Loache's tend it eat most crustaceans so that wouldn't be wise. 25g isn't really large enough for a single yoyo IMO and they prefer to be in groups.
The fact that you say the loach is 5 years old and only 3" in size makes me think it's growth may have been stunted for some reason, I'd expect a 5 year old to be at least 5".
But back to the question in hand you should keep him alone unless the tank size is upgraded.

Back
Top Bottom