25 gallon heXX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JTAM963

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering whats biggest I can put into 25 gallon hex? I don't liek the african cichlids much but just any ideas?

There's a fomula to figure out your surface area and how many inches of fish you can stock. I don't remember how to do it, but maybe someone else that does can chime in. A hex tank doesn't offer much surface area. If I had to guess, I'd say 17 inches of fish. Also because the hex tank does not offer much horizontal space, I would stay away from streamlined swimmers, unless they're something that doesn't get big, like white clouds or neons.
Personally, I would put 1 angel in there, and find suitable tankmates for it. Angels don't swim fast, nor do they like to do "laps". I'd say they're an ideal canidate. I wouldn't put more than 1 angel, though, as they can be teritorial. With the limited space, you may encounter problems with more than one. JMO

uugghh no angels in a hex... they like tall tanks sure, but they need some swimming area. Plus, angels need about 29gallons to be happy. I would say you should get a pair of bolivian rams, and a big school of tetras. Maybe a gourami of some sort (preferably a dwarf gourami)

Hex tanks can be real problems. There are so many seams that stress leaks are a worry. You must take great care in assuring it is completely level. That being said, a pair of goldfish would seem ideally suited.

I'm not a fan of goldfish at all...I was at Aquarium Adventure the other day and I saw Bolivian Rams..they looked full grown about 2.5inches or so...I was wondering could I do two of them and say some cardinal tetras or any tetras??

Yep. That would be a very good mix for that size tank. Try and avoid any tetra which is "speedy" and needs more swimming space.

In smaller tanks I tend to notice that tetra (which should ideally be in a group of 6+) just sit there 'twitching'. You may find that happening if you got them for a hex where the swimming space is going to be limited.

What about some oto for starters? They're a nice little fish that love to lay about on leaves of plants and they also clean algae which is an added bonus.

Then, how about a betta or something?

Alternatively your tank would make a really nice home for some dwarf puffers (DPs) :)

I'm thinking two rams and maybe some clown loaches or something...could I do two rams and two cockatoo cichlids or whatever they are called..really colorful..I want a colorful cichlid tank but don't want african cichlids...

Clown loaches wouldn't be a great choice for that size and shape of tank. They grow huge, and are social so need a group of at least 3. Otos are your best bet for a bottom feeding fish, though like I say they do actually like to rest on leaves and whatnot.
I wouldn't recommend any botia for a hex tank tbh... :(

You also have to be fairly careful with some cichlids: I only know about a few species, but they tend to require territory and this is in the footprint of a tank, not the volume of water it carries. I.e. the larger the footprint (WxL) the better. In a 25G hex, that's not going to be very big :(

Maybe i'll just do a pair of small cichlids and then some tetras like I said before or a gourami or two

I finally got the 25 running with a Lee's ugf and a 200 gph aquaclear on back..got both together for like 40 bucks..sweet deal huh? but yeah looking to stock within 2 weeks...best to get some hardy community fish to start cycle or what your opinions?

Have you tried fishless cycling before? It's actually really easy if you go the natural route and use market (i.e. fresh no-dressing) shrimp/prawns.
You can either stick them in your filter somewhere and leave them to rot away, or do what I do which is to put them inside an old fish bag (one you bought fish in), with lots of holes in, and place it near the filter outlet so the water washes through it and therefore carries the ammonia the shrimp are releasing into the tank.
Don't just pop raw shrimp/prawns into the tank and leave them: I made that mistake and it was really gross getting the remnants out!

Keep testing water params every couple of days until the cycle is completed, and you'll be good to go.

Since I first tried this method I won't use any other: it's so fast and easy and doesn't harm any livestock in the process.

Any other threads on this method?? The intake tube on my aquaclear only goes down about one foot, do i need an extender? Also how long you think it'd take for cycle

Ignore the intake, you want the output tube (the spraybar or whatnot) to blow water through the bag and therefore push rotting prawn/shrimp out into the water.

I cycled my 36G cichlid tank in 11 days with a peak of ammonia to 3ppm after about 2 or 3 days. It always struck me as bizarre: nitrifying bacteria normally take a lot longer to appear (to convert ammonia to nitrIte), but there we go it happened so I can't argue with reality.

Back
Top Bottom