.25 ppm ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It wont immediately kill fish but it will stress them. Stress/poor water quality leads to immuno-suppression & the occurence of disease. Fish become unable to fight off common bacteria, viruses, & parasites that naturally occur in their environment. Opportunistic illnesses become much more likely to occur & are more difficult to manage & treat. This can lead to fish death beyond the damage from constant exposure to ammonia.

First, what are you testing with?? If it's the API test kit, then you may actually have 0 ammonia. The test doesn't come out as brilliant a yellow as you see on your color chart. The main thing you are really looking for is a "lack of green", but it can still appear closer to the 0.25 than the 0. The best thing to do is a side-by-side test with your tank water and either RODI or distilled water as a control sample..... something you KNOW has no ammonia in it. If the colors are the same, then you're good.

Actually at .25 ppm ammonia doesn't even stress fish if the pH level is below 8.
His/her ph is an 8.2 (posted same question in another thread) so i would would not want any fish spending a mth or longer in .25 ammonia. That aside, lets see whats going on here. Is your tank cycled? How big is it? What type/how many fish are there? A cycled tank that is properly stocked should have zero ammonia & zero nitrites. Nitrates should be less than 20ppm-regular pwcs will keep nitrates under control. What are your readings for nitrites & nitrates?

Trace of Ammonia

Good morning 9...

Even a trace of ammonia or nitrite in your tank should prompt you to do a large water change to get water conditions back into the "safe zone".

Weekly water changes of a minimum of half the tank's volume will guarantee your fish and plants have a stable, clean environment at all times.

Since I change a minimum of half the water in my tanks every week, I've stopped testing the water, because I know there isn't enough time for toxins to build up before the next change. I know the water conditions are always well within the "safe zone".

B

Back
Top Bottom