26 gal bowfront lighting upgrade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhOU

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What's the best option for upgrading the lighting of a 26 gal bowfront? Just have the stock kit lighting currently. My concern is finding a lid/hood that would fit (and still look good). Is it possible to upgrade lighting with the existing hood? I need sufficient lighting for an amazon sword, wisteria, and some java moss. Thanks!

Attachments

• image-2817110744.jpg
    image-2817110744.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 454
You would probably have to go with a glass top to upgrade your lighting. Exactly how high of a light level were you looking at making for your plants? A dual t5ho should cost you about $120 and will give you a high light level in your tank. But at that point you will need to look at ferts and co2/excel

The hood you currently have, if it's t8, which the Aqueon kits have, won't be able to get light to penetrate the bottom with most t8 tubes.
You'll want to get a glass top and either t8 or LED's for it. But $120 isn't what you'd have to spend if you wanted to go cheaper. I know my 28 is 24" which is the same as a 26 and I was able to get a finnex ray 2 on it which is moderate-high lighting for $90(+/-) there are also some great fixtures on eBay, the odysea (sp) 2 bulb T5HO for freshwater runs about $50 and same with another unknown brand that has some pretty decent reflectors and is 2bulb t5ho. Both would offer moderate-high lighting and only run $50ish with shipping.

I have a 26g bow front as well. At first I used the stock hood which has a slender glass window that's wide enough for a good quality LED. I upgraded to a Finnex Ray 2 and got moderate light with it. Finnex will be coming out with their new Fugeray Planted Plus light this November, which has some red diodes for better color, just an FYI.

Here's how the Finnex fixture fits on the stock hood of my 26g.

img_2647054_0_e991b88c511a0a985cfa2624b26281fb.jpg

I have since upgraded to a glass versa top only because I'm using two LED fixtures now. But if were to do it all over again, I'd keep the stock hood and get the BuildMyLED.com Dutch fixture in black and add the dimmer option... this light is capable of high light but with the dimmer you can dial it down for lower light plants with the option for more light demanding plants down the road when your knowledge of planted tanks grows. You wouldn't have to upgrade the light because all you'd have to do is adjust the dimmer to crank it up. Another very good advantage to LEDs is that you wouldn't have to replace the bulbs annually. Couple that with less power usage, LEDs pay for themselves eventually.

http://www.buildmyled.com/dutch-planted-6300k/

Last edited:
The hood you currently have, if it's t8, which the Aqueon kits have, won't be able to get light to penetrate the bottom with most t8 tubes.
You'll want to get a glass top and either t8 or LED's for it. But $120 isn't what you'd have to spend if you wanted to go cheaper. I know my 28 is 24" which is the same as a 26 and I was able to get a finnex ray 2 on it which is moderate-high lighting for $90(+/-) there are also some great fixtures on eBay, the odysea (sp) 2 bulb T5HO for freshwater runs about $50 and same with another unknown brand that has some pretty decent reflectors and is 2bulb t5ho. Both would offer moderate-high lighting and only run $50ish with shipping.

The build my led fixture would be a good choice but I would avoid any odyssea product like the plague. Their lights have a bad reputation for catching on fire. The reflectors will determine how much light your tank gets, if it's a sub par reflector then you will lose a lot of your par ratings. Aquatic life or Coralife are about the cheapest dual t5ho units I would choose to go.

the finnex ray 2 seems like it might be a nice solution! but what are the pros/cons of LED vs T5HO? LED for about $90 on amazon seems like a good deal. I'm trying to keep the cost as low a possible.

It really depends on the goals of your tank. If you're going to be keeping light demanding plants that color up with high light, the Ray 2 will not work on taller tanks that well. It's a solid performer on green plants, they grow great. I even got DHG to carpet with it. But it's not a perfect light in that it's very heavy in blue spectrum. Lacking full spectrum makes the tank look a bit washed out in color and had some effect on growing plants, IMO (i.e. my red plants faded to green). That's why if I would go LED (knowing what I know now), unless it's an all green iwagumi type build, I'd recommend going full spectrum LEDs for a high CRI (color rendering index) and to get colors to pop more, which (subjectively) makes my tank viewing experience more favorable (again...IMHO). Unfortunately, full spectrum lights are a little more pricey. However, Finnex is releasing a Fugeray Planted Plus with red diodes in it that might be good and it's supposed to be priced between the Ray 2 and their regular Fugeray. It's not out till November so it's hard to say how good it is until the reviews start pouring in. There is one YouTube review of it out now (I'll post it in a bit...got to look for it).

Other options in full spectrum LEDs would be more spendy (unless you're a LED DIY wiz). I'm currently using two Current-USA Satellite Plus fixtures and love them! But I think it's more than what you'd want to spend. The other option I really like is that new BuildMyLED.com fixtures, particularly the Dutch version. They incorporate various bandwidth LED chips to really get that full spectrum going. It's a higher powered LED light, so only one would be needed, and capable of penetrating taller tanks.

But for the sake of budget, you can achieve a nice full spectrum color output with penetration capability without breaking the bank with T5HO. I'd spend the little extra and make sure you get a fixture with excellent reflectors, something like the AquaticLife T5HOs. Only downsides with T5HO are: bulbs should be replaced annually, higher power consumption, and they run hotter (which can increase water temperature in the summer).

Here's that Fugeray Planted Plus... if you consider this one.. look at the PAR numbers and reference that to how tall your tank is to see if it's for you or not. I think it might be low, maybe low-medium light on a taller tank.

Hint: Finnex is giving 15% off coupon codes on TPT for those who join their club.

I'm only looking at having a lightly planted setup, and don't plan on getting any high light demanding plants. currently have an amazon sword, wisteria, and java moss. so I don't need top of the line... just something sufficient.

Well in that case... you should get the Satellite Plus. You'll have about 28 PAR at 18" so that is plenty for those species of plants and the like. Plus, you'll have the capability of custom color outputs, dynamic effects like lightning storm, cloud cover, sunset, and moonlight...

Check out this thread. There's a bunch of links to reviews, info, and other hobbyist who are using the light now.

Satellite+ Club: Showcase your Current Sat+ Tank! Links to journals & more!

This is a good thread too:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=379417

any opinions on the marineland double bright LED 24-36 inch? could this work?

On the 26g, the Ray 2 would deliver medium light, whereas the fugeray would be in the low range. ~39 PAR versus ~22 PAR.

Ok, so I think I have narrowed it down between finnex ray 2 or current USA satellite led+. I really like the lighting modes on the current satellite led+, however the finnex 2 seems to deliver more par... is this correct? Would the current satellite led+ provide sufficient light for my current plants?... opinions on either of these lights?

Both lights will grow your plants. The Ray 2 has a higher PAR so you'll run into problems a little easier if you're not careful -- this means, you should be diligent in supplementing co2 or a liquid carbon to fend off algae. On the flip side, you'll be able to grow more species of plants with this light.

Here are some pros and cons that I can think of:

Finnex Ray 2
Pros: Higher PAR for the money.
Cons: All daylight white LEDs tend to wash out color in reddish hues. No moonlight or way to adjust the light output. Warranty is 180 days.

Sat+:
Pros: Full spectrum. Custom color output settings, pre-programmed dynamic light modes, wireless remote, and 1 year warranty. The preset for orange for instance, really makes colorful fish and plants pop in color. Ability to add a Ramp Timer in the near future.
Cons: The light is a little underpowered. However, it can handle low to medium light plants (in some rare cases, high light plants) depending how tall your tank is.

I am using the sat+ on my 90g tank 24" tall and have had great growth since installing it. I dose excell daily by the directions no ferts or co2 and my swords have grown 4-5" in a couple weeks I love this light but can not speak for the finex light since I have never used it just wanted to add some deep tank info

Also you may check the bulb in your present fixture. You may find a better light K rating for you for around $15.

If it is a used tank and over a year old, check out just getting another new bulb. Zoo med makes one called Flora Sun. Aqueon makes them too. I am sure there must be others. as well. Until you have time to wait for the new Fuge... or decide on the Current design / style.

For growing what you have now, a new light bulb and some liquid ferts should keep doing alright. Maybe a fert capsule for the Sword.

It will give you time for your future plant decisions.

Just ordered the current USA satellite led+! Thanks for all the recommendations!

Back
Top Bottom