26 gallon bowfront build (or renovation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a new to me (but still almost new) 26 bowfront! Right now it has all the decor from my 20 tall in it but will soon be a heavily planted, seminano tank! This is my first chance to really do a build thread! Ive got the money and everything to start lol
Hardware: So here are some of my plans. The original light has to go! lol It is an aqueon single bulb t8 and it is like 8000k and pinkish. I am buying a dual bulb t5 that I will start with 2 6700k bulbs. Then I am going to replace the aqueon 30 filter with a fluval c4 (it has enough room for my extras and I can take out the carbon)
Decor: This is were I struggle. My decorating skills are... lacking lol but here are my ideas. I have 2 rocks right now. A flat red rock and an arrow shaped purple rock. I use these to make a cave. Then I want to add a piece of driftwood with a low-medium light plant on it. (this is a low-medium light NO co2 setup!) Any suggestions? Then I am going to add some jungle vals in one corner and a short grass looking plant right next to the cave. I will probably add an anubis in the front but I havent decided on all the plants. Im dont know alot of them. I have one plant now but dont know what it is..... So suggestions (with pics!) of low-medium light plants is appreciated! Also decor suggestions in general would be nice :)
Stocking: This is kinda my favourite part! I am going to add the following:
6x Black Kuhli Loaches
5x Sparkling Gourami
6x Scarlet Badis (2 or 3 males and the rest females)
5x Ghost Catfish (I may replace this school if I find something smaller that will work with my small shy guys)
2-4x Mexican Dwarf Crayfish
A colony or 2 of shrimp and then some random snails.

So if anybody has thoughts, suggestions, or just wants to follow that would be cool! I will be adding pics tomorrow after I go to my LFS. I will do before and after pics!
Thanks and God bless!

So I bought a t5 2x14w fixture today (hopefully enough light) and some kuhlis. I also got 1 bannana plant, a crypt, a bunch of jungle vals, and a bunch of wisteria. I will post pics later but it looks good!

GodFan said:
So I bought a t5 2x14w fixture today (hopefully enough light) and some kuhlis. I also got 1 bannana plant, a crypt, a bunch of jungle vals, and a bunch of wisteria. I will post pics later but it looks good!

Pics now not later! :p

PICS!!!!!!!! So the first puc is before (except with the new light) and the second pic is after!

Attachments

• 100_0556.jpg
    100_0556.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_0557.jpg
    100_0557.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 101
So I IDed the mystery plant! It is Water Sprite! It is growing like mad in my 5 gallon! Hopefully it will in my 26 now too! I also spotted a mysterious stowaway plant! It is very very small and dark green and fuzzy!

For a moment I thought that was a condom over the filter intake :/ lol

It's looking good so far!
lol No. I have this in my living room. Not to mention water flow issues lol
Thanks! Its not done yet ut I like it better already!

I got my driftwood today! Its boiling now! Will upload pics later when it is in the tank!

Neither can I! I am boiling that dw like crazy right now! Hoping my plants start taking off soon!

yea. They probably wont grow fast though. I have a low light setup so they will probably grow pretty slow. On eof my RCS is berried again though! They love the wisteria. Im tryin g to decide on the right temperature though....

So here are the pics with my driftwood added! I LOVE it! Also another of my shrimp is berried! They must like the setup ;)

Attachments

• 100_0558.jpg
    100_0558.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 86
looking good, i saw you didn't want Co2, but maybe DIY Co2 would be beneficial and its cheap, $5 to start, and maybe $2 a month........

I am nervous about DIY co2 and quiet honestly alittle lazy lol If I did it it would be hi-tech :)

I don't understand why their seem to be little floating particals in the water with the aqueon filter but the top fin one kept my water absolutlel clear! Like clear as an empty tank!

Got 4 scarlet badis today!!! I also noticed my plants appear to be growing!

Ok So I need to add pics! I am adding pics of the gorgeous Scarlet Badis! And a full tank shot. The wisteria is outgrowing its corner! Should I plant it in front of the log and behind it so it has like a forest or should I restrain it behind the log? I am leaning toward letting it take over that whole side of the tank! Anyway here are the pics! Suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• 100_0559.jpg
    100_0559.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_0568.jpg
    100_0568.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_0574.jpg
    100_0574.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 100_0575.jpg
    100_0575.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 86
Oh very nice I love wisteria too. I say make your own little forest on that side of the tank. That way fish can take cover if stressed.

Back
Top Bottom