26 Gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianWaters

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need help stocking my 26 gallon bow front aquarium.
24x13x20 inches
Filtration is going to be one aqua clear 50 and one Fluval C3

Stocking:
1 Angelfish
6 Rummynose
6 Cardinals
5 Panda Cory's

Does this sound alright? Could I fit 5 more Cory's and one more group of tetras?
Any help is welcome!

Instead of adding another school of fish you could prob just build on the ones you have. 7-9 of each tetra and 6 cories would be fine, but I'm not sure on the angel. 26 gal might be pushing it in terms of minimum tank size for its potential adult size but I'm no angel expert so I'll let someone who is chime in on that.

According to LiveAquariua angels require 30 gallons so I am a little on the low side but I thought since the tank is a little taller (20") I could pull it off.
If you don't think that would work I would most likely just do a pair of rams or thread fin rainbows.
I will be doing 50% weekly PWC if that makes a difference.
Thanks for quick response!

I agree with azmodan, that it would be best to build on your schools, especially the cories, than to add another school. Although, you could have a school of small fish, like neon tetras, just know that with an angel they could become food.

All right so would you think this sounds better:

9 Rummynose
9 Cardinals
6 Panda Cory's
6 Sterbai Cory's
2 German Rams

This comes out to 143% on aqadvisor

I think that's a bit much, particularly if your rams start spawning they definitely won't enjoy all that bottom movement.

I'd ditch the pandas (they like cooler water than the rams), and go with the rest of your list. Your other fish can handle the higher temps better. For rams, 80-84 is good.

Alright cool! Thanks for all the help and quick replies!
That sounds like it will be a fun tank for me!

It will be! However, I'd advise you to take your time with this one. All of the fish in your stock list can be somewhat sensitive (most sensitive IME would be the rummynose and the rams- I think these should be your last additions).

Well I already have the Rummynose in my first tank for a few months and have had no problems so far.

Well I already have the Rummynose in my first tank for a few months and have had no problems so far.

I guess I should mention that I have both the Rummynose and cardinals (though both schools will need to be added too) this was my first tank and I made some mistakes but I managed to have since about December.
I read that I shouldn't add rams to a tank under a few months old... If I run the same filter and a lot of the same things in the tank does this still apply?

IMO this still applies. Since you already have both those groups of fish, I would transfer them over (slowly) first. Next, I'd add the Sterbai, then, later, the rams. JMO

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom