265 gallon stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually went to petsmart the other day to get some feeders and I came across a tiny dinosaur bichir for just 4 bucks so I decided to get it. I might just put it in another tank with smaller fish cause it would be eaten by the ones I'm going to put in. Which one up there Is a dinosaur bichir?

I actually went to petsmart the other day to get some feeders and I came across a tiny dinosaur bichir for just 4 bucks so I decided to get it. I might just put it in another tank with smaller fish cause it would be eaten by the ones I'm going to put in. Which one up there Is a dinosaur bichir?

The dinosaur bichir is actually a Polypterus Senegalus! In aquaria they tend to max out at around 8"-9" but can get to 12" in the wild and large aquaria.

Gotcha. I'll probably just move it to a smalle tank for now and then move him somewhere else when It gets bigger. Which bichir is generally the most active?

Gotcha. I'll probably just move it to a smalle tank for now and then move him somewhere else when It gets bigger. Which bichir is generally the most active?

The senegalus is one of, if not the most active bichir out there! Lots more personable than other bichirs and not as reclusive! Very good for those new to bichirs!

What else would be you think?

Do you mean like what other bichirs would work for your big tank? That list I gave you earlier is all I can think of, since your width is small and bichirs need very long and wide tanks that sorta cut through a few but not much. I don't remember if I included it but the P. Ansorgii would be an option too.

Yes listen to this guy^^^ he's awesome with bichirs!! He helped me with my guyImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396396541.501501.jpg and it's a p. senegalus

I meant what else is more active than the others. Is there one that gets a little bigger than the Senegal bichir that is just about as active?

I meant what else is more active than the others. Is there one that gets a little bigger than the Senegal bichir that is just about as active?

I I think Since u have a huge tank the bichir will get to 10 inches probably and that's a pretty good size for a senegalus

How come?

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I got the Senegal bichir. Acame about 4 inches. The fin on one side seems to be either bitten off or deformed. Well now it is deformed. Not sure if it will grow back but it is doing fine. Eats the pellets I put in so Im happy with that. The other one I had from petsmart that was just an inch or two long died. I fed it a small worm and the worm somehow pierced though the opening in the fish where the gill is and it eventually died. Very strange

Well that is def strange!!! Don't know how a worm could do that but at least ur happy with ur new friend! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398251210.511249.jpg my guy is grieving by leaps!

I want to build a tank for amazon fish! But need money and space first..

Can't wait to see pictures of your peacock bass if/when you get it!

Back
Top Bottom