280 Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wont be too bad... Salt is not that exp if you buy in bulk. But that is far enough down the road anyways.

It will be home to my freshies for a bit. Well until they pass away. They have outgrown the 125g that they are in. They are over 10 years old. I dont think they will live many more years, then im going to move my reef over to this tank. :0)

Right now I do a 30 gallon trash can on my saltwater tank and that is about 15 bucks worth of salt from what I figure.

I dunno if I believe it or not, but I read somewhere that If you have the right stuff in your sump you dont need to do water changes?

I thought the salt mix provided certain things to the water tho.. IDK

IF you set it up right you can get away with next to no water changes....but if you go reef you'd have to dose.. Look up hiatt filtration.... I personally don't think its healthy but its interesting

e_murray said:
Well today I cleaned it up really good. Thank goodness for vinegar!

I noticed the two front seals were a bit worn, so I scraped them off... I will seal em back up tomorrow.

100% silicone right? Long as it don't have mold preventer or whatever right?

Out of experience I can only tell you to do all the seals, not only the two front ones! It might be a lot more work but fresh silicon doesn't stick well to dried silicon and I can't even start to imagine 250g of water in the living room! I had a 55g give up on me and that was already a mess I'll never forget! Anyways, I'm in :popcorn:

Ausfish said:
Out of experience I can only tell you to do all the seals, not only the two front ones! It might be a lot more work but fresh silicon doesn't stick well to dried silicon and I can't even start to imagine 250g of water in the living room! I had a 55g give up on me and that was already a mess I'll never forget! Anyways, I'm in :popcorn:

Yes, he's right, you need to redo the whole thing

Start of sump area. Plumbed up. Using temp pool jet as a bulkhead... It leaks so I gotta order the right thing to go back. Kicking myself for loosing the **** nut!

I need a idea on how to make a filter out of this sump due to using for freshies..

Attachments

• image-1317021631.jpg
    image-1317021631.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 112
Yeah that pic only shows half of the sump, there are 3 sections. The only thing I can come up with is like you said. I was going to go buy a couple of huge bags of poly-fill from the craft store... and stuff it into the 1st section around the drain pipes that would kind of force the water to go through it to get to the next section.

A sump is not the filter... Its used for housing/hiding all the equipment needed for reef tanks usually, But I am setting this one up for freshwater for the time being. So with that said I am trying to figure out a way to make it into a filter. So my adding mechanical filter material such as poly fill or filter floss to filter the the debris in the water moving through the sump is my objective. Make since?

Very nice,,why the heck can't i find deals like this...
Been scanning CL for months ..Wife says if i find one i can get it....

Anyway ,,looking good ,,but fresh water ...come on:lol:...JK with you

Lol, I know!

I dont know if I could afford the mait bill or the electric bill for that fact to do saltwater on this monster...

Back
Top Bottom