29 Gal Cycled and ready for......?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kennyyoli

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, so I have been at 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrites for a few days. The tank is currently hosting 2 comets that my daughter won at her bible school carnival that will be leaving in a couple of days to a friend of ours. They did help us cycle the tank though, so that was OK.
After a trip to the lfs, my 5 year old daughter loved the tiger barbs. Trying to get a straight answer from them as to possible tank mates was completely impossible. I know they are aggressive, but maybe not as bad if you get a few and they can school. Looking at possibly getting 5, and looking for some options for tank mates. As always, that you in advance for the input. This community is awesome, and the advice Grace and I have gleaned from it has been a huge help. :)

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that we do have 3 Amazon Swords planted in the tank already, if that makes any difference. Thanks again :)

I actually have a 29 gallon and have been thinking of changing stock and having TB also. Here is what i am gonna do;
4 Polka Dot Loaches (i already have them intank)
5 TB
2 GBR
1 Golden Wonder Killi
1 BNP (also already intank)

What sparked wanting to do the change for me is that i read the loaches are great with semi aggressive fish.

The GBR and Killi are also semi aggressive as well as the TB.

I hope this helps in making your decision! :)

I recommend getting a larger school of Tiger Barbs. I would say at least 8-9. This reduces the aggression taken out on other tankmates and mainly keeps the fin nips within the shoal. A swordtail would be a good centerpiece fish with Tiger Barbs.

depends on the size of the tank but you can keep other semi-aggressive fish with the tiger barbs. I would up that # of tigers to about 8-10, like Bud mentioned

I've had them with rainbow sharks,black ruby barbs, loaches will work for a bottom dwelling fish, small Pleco

It's a 29 gal tank, so would that be big enough for 8 tiger barbs? I also had been told that a loach would be a good tank mate, but I read that they need a much bigger tank than 29 gal.

Kennyyoli said:
It's a 29 gal tank, so would that be big enough for 8 tiger barbs? I also had been told that a loach would be a good tank mate, but I read that they need a much bigger tank than 29 gal.

You were probably looking at clown loaches or blue-redtailed loaches. I have 4 polka dot loaches and they all do great. just make sure you have several hiding spots in the tank.

A 29 is definitely big enough for 8. And in addition to what fishfanatic said, Black Kuhli loaches would also be cool in there. Make sure you have a tight-fitting lid though, because they can get out easily if you don't.

i wold do 8 tiger barbs and maybe german blue rams. then a few khuli loaches but nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom