29 gallon community tank ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BDawg90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm cycling a new 29 gallon tank and while I wait for it to do the thing I'm thinking of ideas m

Sorry I'm using my phone because my computer broke, I'm thinking of what to put in the tank and I was wanted some expert advice. I wanted to do a school of 5 albino Cory's and a school of 5 julii Cory's with maybe 3 kuhli loaches. Then a guppy couple with 5 harlequin rasboras and a single male dwarf gourami. Oh and 3 nerite snails. Is this too large of a bioload?

For a 29 Gallon thats way to much. The Inch per Gallon rule is a good formula to use with that amount of fish. If you densly plant your tank and have a good filter, you could probably go a little beyond it, but from what you said its definitly an overstock. Your probably going to have to drop one or maybe two of the Schooling fish.

The inch per gallon rule is not the best wayto calculate maximum stocking capacity. If you ditched the three khulis then your tank should be fine.

My 29 gallon consisted of Platys, neons, and headlight tail lights. Platys are funny little things. (Just recently put them all into my 36 gallon with my silvertips because the 29 gallon got out of control with an algae bloom. We are moving in 2 weeks and thats just one less tank to have to move at the same time.

I would drop one school of cories and keep the kuhlis, who apparently have a pretty small bioload.

Check out aqadvisor it might not be the most accurate, but it's better than the inch per gallon rule.

My 29 gallon currently has

1 pearl gourami
7 rasbora
6 kuhlis
3 yoyo (who I'm hoping don't grow too big ;)

I would aim for evenly dispersing top/middle/bottom fish, probably the best strategy.

Thanks for everybody's advice, I've decide to cut out a school of Cory's and the guppy's and just having one school of Cory's with a couple kuhli's and maybe getting some Von rio's instead of harlequins

Back
Top Bottom