29 gallon finally cycled...suggestions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmoore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so my 29 gallon is fully cycled, and fully stocked.
Here is what I have:

1 plecotonomus
2 ottos
2 black mollys
6 neon tetras
2 glo-lite tetras
1 zebra danio
1 long finned danio
2 upside down catfish
1 red swordtail

is this pushing the limits of the tank? I know that the pleco is quite capable of getting quite large, but by then I will have my new (much larger) tank up and running. Im doing pwc every week and have 2 filters running, so I dont think filtration is a problem.

cheers! :)

the one problem I see is the glo-lites and danios. They do best in schools, so i would choose one or two of those and keep them in schools of at least 5-6

I agree completely - you might be overstocking if you provide the danios and glolites with the companions they require (a school of 6 would be great for both types of fish) so see if you can exchange them - they might literally just founder and die without more buddies. Maybe pick between danios and glolites and then stock up on one.

Otherwise, you obviously recognize the potential for the pleco, so it looks great!

My glo-lites and neons school together, and then the danios kinda hop from group to group, they have no loyalties. I wonder if its because the neons and danios were the first fish I put in the tank when I started cycling (yes, I did a fish cycle under recommendations from the LFS :( )

so its not normal for all species of tetras and other species of fish to school together?
figures they do it in my tank.

thanks for the recommendations, I'll call the store I bougth them and see if i can exchange them.

The instinct to school is incredibly strong and sometimes it can work with different types of tetras, but it is "better" if they can school with their own kind that have the same wiring, so to speak, so their behavior will be more natural and, I believe, live a longer life.

Lots of people mix and match, and you are of course free to do that, but I am answering based on "a perfect world" scenario. I currently have serpae tetras, white clouds and a single cardinal tetra that has lived amongst the others for over a year. I really ought to get him some buddies!

:D JMO jmoore but.............. with all your filtration and pwc, I think you could add 4 more glo lites without a prob. :wink: I'd hate to see you take them back.

thanks for the advice all...really appreciate it.
I kind of hate the idea of taking them simply because when I got them they had a bad case of ich, and the zebra danio was lifeless and now hes full of life.
And on top of it, they went through a pretty harsh cycle and survived it.

Another month or so (hopefully) and I should have a 100 gallon up and running which I will transfer them over to and then they can have plenty of friends and space to play with.

Back
Top Bottom