29 gallon fish combo final!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been trying to come up with a good combo for my 29 gallon for awhile. After asking a few questions on here and doing a little research I think I finally have a awesome combo!
4 julli Cory's
6 glow light tetras
3 fancy male guppies
1 blue ram( if I can find one)
1 red tailed black shark

If there r any suggestions please do feel free!!! I will have this tank heavily stocked with hiding spot and fake plants bc I kno the shark and ram can b very territorial. I'd like to really kno if I should consider eliminating or adding nething to my list.

Not sure but I kno it's good for up to 40 gallons.

The number/size of fish you have picked is not the problem, it's the type. Keep in mind every fish has it own personality and/or reaction to tankmates...

Using AqAdvisor, it recommends (giving the tank size/filter info provided):

German Blue Ram is too aggressive to co-exist with Glowlight Tetra.

Glowlight Tetra may become food for Red Tailed Black Shark.

Red Tailed Black Shark is too aggressive to co-exist with Glowlight Tetra.

Red Tailed Black Shark is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 5 inches.

If you want to keep more than 1 Guppy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.

Valina

The number/size of fish you have picked is not the problem, it's the type. Keep in mind every fish has it own personality and/or reaction to tankmates...

Using AqAdvisor, it recommends (giving the tank size/filter info provided):

German Blue Ram is too aggressive to co-exist with Glowlight Tetra.

Glowlight Tetra may become food for Red Tailed Black Shark.

Red Tailed Black Shark is too aggressive to co-exist with Glowlight Tetra.

Red Tailed Black Shark is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 5 inches.

If you want to keep more than 1 Guppy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.

Valina

Thnx for the advice!
Ok so the ram and the shark r a no go. Any suggestions on what other fish I should n could get?

Wait!
The ram doesn't have to go, but the shark does. I would just add a few more glowlights to make sure they can school well and defend each other, but as long as the ram has lots of room (which it does) it won't attack the glowlights. I want to have a tank with a ram and glowlights in it, it is a 20 gallon, and I was told no ram by AqAdvisor, and yes ram by some people who are experienced with ram care.

Wait!
The ram doesn't have to go, but the shark does. I would just add a few more glowlights to make sure they can school well and defend each other, but as long as the ram has lots of room (which it does) it won't attack the glowlights. I want to have a tank with a ram and glowlights in it, it is a 20 gallon, and I was told no ram by AqAdvisor, and yes ram by some people who are experienced with ram care.

Are there ne other tetras that u kno of that will school with glo lights?

IDK, but I think it really depends on the fish's nature and not on the species very much. I wouldn't risk trying though. You really only need maybe 7 or 8, not that many. Apparently, it is good to have an odd number of fish, something about a pecking order. I don't really understand that part, but apparently it works so I would get 7.

Wait!

Cool - glad to hear his "feature fish" can be compatible. AqAdvisor is just a tool to give you a heads up - not a "omg - have to follow it" :lol:

kmny34, Fishperson is totally right...

"IDK, but I think it really depends on the fish's nature and not on the species very much."

Same thing I said... "Keep in mind every fish has it own personality and/or reaction to tankmates..."

Agreed, aqadvisor said my blue gourami going to be aggressive with my other gouramis, there not. They get along just fine

But that being said, keep in mind that if your ram is "mean", he can slowly kill of each of the tetras.

Not trying to disagree, but just want you to be aware that you may lose some fish.

We prefer not to text type on this site........

Uncle Dirty,
I apologize!!! I am typing from my phone so it's difficult not to text type! But ill definitely try not to text type.

Thank you all for the great advice!!! I will use it and hopefully my tank turns out great. Any other advice or suggestions would be awesome!

When it comes down to it, do what makes you smile.

That is why we are all "fish-addicts" - well, except for me, I have to admit, I am a African Dwarf Frog addict atm.... :ROFLMAO:

Have fun, you will make mistakes.... we all do, and DID...

Good luck!

Valina

I agree that the glowlights should be a school of around 8 at least -- they'll be less shy this way. For your final stock you could also probably do a honey gourami, as they are pretty small and very peaceful (generally). Just be sure to have some floating plants up top as they tend to hang out a lot near the upper strata of the tank. For the ram, I'd definitely make it the final addition to the tank. The reason is not so much aggression (mine have always been pretty peaceful) but more that they do best in a tank that is already pretty mature and has been running for at least a few months. Bolivian rams are a little more hardy and could probably be added sooner but IMO if you're gonna go the ram route for a centerpiece it's worth it to go with a GBR :)

Finally, are you going to do any live plants?

I haven't thought about live plants. Should I?

Just wanted to say, I would definitely get rid of the shark, but everything else seems fine to me. What you named there in that tank is basically what I have in mine, besides the quantities. I have 1x Julii Cory 1x Panda Cory 3x MFG's 3x GLT's and 1x Blue Ram in a 14 Gal Tank! From everything I was told, the GBR would never survive and become territorial, but it's been living just fine and isn't territorial and even fought through ich! So i wouldn't be too worried about tank size!

Thanks to everyone on this thread I have decided to stock my 29 gallon with:

9 glow light tetras
6 Cory cats
1 blue ram

For now that's it! I will slowly add a few more fish!!!

Thanks again everyone!!!
All though I've come to a decision, I still would love to hear extra advice and suggestions if anyone has any.

Back
Top Bottom