29 Gallon FW Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ill probly clear out all the drawers too. And keep the desk until I get money to make a nice sturdy stand. Fingers crossed

Ohh man...sounds bad. But I don't really have the money to buy a new stand now. Here's some more pics of the desk to see if you think its sturdy or not. Its pretty big and the bases have a good distribution of weight. I really hope I don't have a problem...

The design of the desk is right for your tank since the tanks 4 corners are centered over the drawer towers, but it's hard to say from the pics (pretty are dark pics too). One thing to try is fill it up and try all the drawers over a couple days to a weeks time and see if there's a lot of compression from the weight of the tank. You'll know if it's starting to succumb to the 250lbs+ of weight pretty soon if the drawers won't/stop opening IMO/E. If it were me, I'd get a 3/4" piece of plywood cut to the size of the desk top and sandwich it between the desk top and tank to help displace some of the weight.

Good luck!

Okay so right now the top drawers are the easiest to open. And it has more resistance as I get closer to the bottom. Idk if its the same as it was before though.

tarpon said:
Okay so right now the top drawers are the easiest to open. And it has more resistance as I get closer to the bottom. Idk if its the same as it was before though.

Yep, knowing what it was like before the tank was filled is important. The bottom drawers look taller (file drawers?) so they'll compress sooner that the letter/pen drawers. The plywood might help since right now all the tank weight is pushing down on one spot (so to speak) rather than being spread out.

Is there any lateral shift (side to side) in the desk? If so, I'd be leery of it myself.

all the drawers are the same size. And the desk looks like it always has right now...everybodys assuring me its strong enough. " that's a pretty sturdy desk"

I actually have a perfect piece of wood lying around to put under it. Its kind of....porus? So the weight of the tank will probably compress it. But I think it'll work. But seeing as I just set up the whole tank I'm not ready to take allll the water out yet. So ill do it in a couple of days.

tarpon said:
all the drawers are the same size. And the desk looks like it always has right now...everybodys assuring me its strong enough. " that's a pretty sturdy desk"

Gotcha. Hard to tell in pics. Yep, without inspecting it I can't really offer any other suggestions, so hopefully everyone that has seen it is right.

How are you going to cycle it? If you're going to do an unseeded, fishless cycle then you'll have about a month or so to see if it stays put without risking any fish on the floor syndrome.

All of the gravel is from an old tank and so is the filter media and a gallon and a half of water. When I put the wood under it I think I'm gonna siphon it all out into one of those 50 gal storage tubs. Then siphon it all back.

tarpon said:
I actually have a perfect piece of wood lying around to put under it. Its kind of....porus? So the weight of the tank will probably compress it. But I think it'll work. But seeing as I just set up the whole tank I'm not ready to take allll the water out yet. So ill do it in a couple of days.

I'd suggest staying away from anything that's going to compress. It won't distribute the weight as well and may add odd pressure to the tank seams and cause them to fail IMO.

Alright...I probly have some extra plywood too. Wouldn't plywood compress as well?

Oh alright. Well ill get some of that. Post some pics. And let you know if it has collapsed or not....:'(

My step dad checked out the dresser real good and he said it should be good. Its an old dresser and he says that they made things a lot sturdier back then. And its made of good solid wood. So I don't think ill worry about it. Guess its time to focus on cycling

tarpon said:
My step dad checked out the dresser real good and he said it should be good. Its an old dresser and he says that they made things a lot sturdier back then. And its made of good solid wood. So I don't think ill worry about it. Guess its time to focus on cycling

Yep, they sure did. Solid wood rather than particle board was standard back in the day and it was made to last.

+1 to your step dad :).

Okay good. Ill relax a little but keep my eyes open. When people say +1 they are referring to reputation right?

Okay so I just seeded my filters with gravel from my other tank. Desk is looking good. No bowing or increased resistance when opening drawers. Going to pick up api master kit first thing in the morning. Sadly I don't have one yet.

Back
Top Bottom