29 Gallon HIGH. Should I try to plant it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MantisX

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gallon high. Its an awesome looking tank but I think its too high for the plants too get any good light saturation. I was wondering is it possible for me to make the gravel higher than usual to get the light to the plants? It has 72 watts of light over it currently, but truthfully it kinda looks the same as when I had 20 watts over it. My last resort is to dress the driftwood in it up with java ferns and java moss. It currently houses about 50 million convict cichlids. If I did go with the java mosss/fern, would I need to add co2 or alot of nutrients?

Thanks

MantisX...

Java ferns will do just fine in that tank without additional CO2 or a lot of nutrients. So will Java moss, for that matter. Cryptocoryne species, like C. wendtii will also grow very well for you, though they'll appreciate a little additional nutrients. I grow my Cryptocoryne using Flourish Tabs in the gravel and a little Kent Grow for additional macronutients. They're growing beautifully in my 26 bow front with right at 1.5 watts per gallon. I've also had considerable luck with Aponogeton ulvaceus in that same tank....it started out as a small plant with about 5 - 5 to 6 inch leaves and now has about 30 leaves (each about 24 inches long) and is flowering as I type. It likes its very own Flourish Tab right next to it....heavy feeders, y'know.

Water depth in the aquarium makes little difference in light penetration once you hit the 2-2.5 wpg range. Unless your tank is some kind of monster that is 26" deep I would not worry about it.

You can always build terraces to raise some plants up, but I think you will be fine, and it is nice to have a deep tank for some of the valisneria varieties, for example, which get so tall.

Cool, Great advice! I hadnt thought about crypts before! I think Ill set it up with ferns moss and a few crypts to see what itll form into. To the plantmobile!!
:lol: Will I have any problems out of the millions of convict cichlids in there?
P.S. How do you post pictures of your tanks for all to see?

what are the dimensions on a 29 HIGH anyway?

my regular 'ol 29g is 30x12x18

the 30" makes it hard to light intensely, since a 22" 55 watt powercompact is 7" too short and the 36" 96 watt powercompact is 7" too long!

MantisX...

The convicts probably won't munch on the plants excessively...especially not Java ferns or the Cryptocoryne. The Java ferns are too tough and the Cryptocoryne contain oxalic acid crystals which must make them taste TERRIBLE!!! The convicts may rearrange any landscaping you do when breeding time comes around though.

Fruitbat said:
The convicts may rearrange any landscaping you do when breeding time comes around though.

Then to the pet store!! Because all they do is breed and dig! I wanted to get more into larger cichlids that were more friendly with plants and gravel anyhow.(Port Cichlid and threadfins is what I have in mind.) Maybe I can get like 20 cent a piece for them and take the credit to get a nice plant base going. I kinda hate to get rid of them though. They have this cool green thing going on their fins and some on their side that ive never seen convicts do before. Dillema!! :roll:

justDIY said:
what are the dimensions on a 29 HIGH anyway?
Im not exactly sure but ive compared it with some 29 gallons in the pet store and its definitely "different" Thats why I went so overboard with the lighting. I remember when I was 13, before it was setup, I could stand beside it and it was a little above my knees.

Hmm you only have 72 watts of lighting? You could try the DIY lighting I made to give it 128 watts.. only question would be how tall is the ceiling of the hood away from the water?

i just outfit my 29 gallon 'normal' with T5HO lights, and it's very impressive... check out the DIY forum and photog forum for info and pix

I have the same tank- and its planted. i have vals, asian ambulia-alot of crypts, moss and everything is doing fine, i just had to trim back the ambulia, it grows fast and reached the top of my tank. :D

Back
Top Bottom