29 Gallon Planted Build...Advice Appreciated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome. If you have any guests over, they'll get a kick out of those Kuhlies. When I went on vacation in June, I had someone watch over my tank. The first thing that she asked me was: "What are those worm-like fish?" Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They are an awesome fish. Really nice for heavily planted tanks because of there shape.

I think one of the PPS pro bottles had crystals the day after i mixed it so I got into the habit of inverting the bottle repeatedly before dosing. Even months after mixing I still get some precipitate from the micros.

Ok so I'm not the only one with these issues.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I always boil my bottles before making a new batch. Then when I make a solution, I put the bottle in the warm water. Dissolves pretty well then.

Got some of downoi from petsmart. I just want to say it looks awful! Hope it makes it and thrives like the s.repens it.
Close up
FTS

I can only find one of the new kuhlies, yesterday I counted all 3 but today only 2 :(
Edit: found all 3 :D the thrid decided the blyxa patch was better than the stars lol

I'm getting new growth on the downoi I picked up a couple weeks ago. Emersed form is UGLY!

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

I'm getting new growth on the downoi I picked up a couple weeks ago. Emersed form is UGLY!

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

It looks pathetic next to the other plants!!! Other than the sad looking downoi I'm happy with how the tank has filled in. Was lookin barren after I removed the java, sword, and old dw.

Quick tip on the Downoi: I've found that it's easier to grow Downoi when you let the plant root in and grow big before trimming and replanting.

Quick tip on the Downoi: I've found that it's easier to grow Downoi when you let the plant root in and grow big before trimming and replanting.

Exactly why I haven't even touched mine. I made sure each plant had a couple roots before planting. Just going to let it stay ugly for awhile!

I finally did my first major trim on the stars. I have trimmed a few stems now and then, but never to this extent.

Thats a 16oz bottle next to all the stars for a size reference. I think the tallest stems where pushing 3.5inches

FTS

I can hear the kuhlies yelling at me for messing up their hide out...
Edit: Brookster the kuhlies thank you for all the blyxa. It has become their new hiding spot.
I moved my light closer to the front glass to help the downoi and ar mini grow, and it should help the star patch grow back

Nutrafin Plant Gro or the full spectrum of Seachem products ? Besides the obvious, ( PRICE ) what would you recommend ? Using Seachem now & thinking of trying CO2 Booster with the Plant Grow. What do you think ?

Finally ready to use a co2 reactor. Picked up some braided hose today to replace the fluval lines, and just have to get a smaller T piece on the way home from work tomorrow. Plan is to copy brooksters pictures on page 82ish.
I increased my photoperiod today by 30 minutes to see how the plants react and to see if I get more GHA.

Reactor is glued up with 8 bioballs inside. Going to install it Saturday am, so i can adjust the BPS as needed.
I want to change out my DC fluid to make sure its fresh. What does fluid do you guys/gals use? I'm out of the fluval fluid it cane with.

Reactor is glued up with 8 bioballs inside. Going to install it Saturday am, so i can adjust the BPS as needed.
I want to change out my DC fluid to make sure its fresh. What does fluid do you guys/gals use? I'm out of the fluval fluid it cane with.

Sweet! I use the fluval brand( dc fluid).

sit in silence...

Ok I read that people use dkh test fluid or something like that, but can't remember where I read that

I have a Fluval DC and a generic all glass DC. I use the Fluval DC fluid for the Fluval and some 4dkh solution + 2-4 drops of pH reagent. You can buy 4dkh on eBay or Amazon or mix it yourself (don't know the exact recipe but you typically end up with way more than you'll ever need).

I got the reactor installed today. The hardest part was getting the braided line to bend over the rim. Had to use some fishing line to tie it down.
Went down to my lfs a day early, and came back with 4 more kuhli loaches...I think these fish are my crack lol
Talked with the guy that orders everything for the lfs, and he said he'll give me $1-2 store credtit for any plant bunches.
I submitted an application at a closer, but much more expensive lfs and should hear back early next week. :D

As for the braided tubing over the tank rim, you might want to consider using one or two 90 degree elbows. Or a 180 degree (basically a canister return "u" tube).
When you get a chance, take a pic of your setup. What bps are you injecting into it?
I may need to look at kuhlis one day. My CUC is four amano shrimp and four otos.
Good luck with the job app!

Pics
Reactor shot
FTS
Interesting note about my s.repens, one stem was right next to the glass, and after about a week it sprouted 3 new roots. Not sure if this is always the case, but after 1 -2 weeks all the trimmed tops should stay in place.

Back
Top Bottom