29 Gallon stocking ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are some ideas for fish that can live nicely in a 29 gallon? Would one Parrot Cichlid live ok? Or do they get too big? As I have heard they can get up to 8 inches or so. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

I once did an amazon biotope in a 29. rams are beautiful and hatchet fish are awesome but you need a good lid because they are jumpers when they get frightened. you could have a nice school of different tetras of your preference. I like the black skirt tetras personally. Right now in a 29 I have a betta and 4 large mystery snails.

I love the idea of Rams. Would they be ok with livebearers, or should it be a species only tank? Also, whats everyones take on a pleco or BN pleco in this tank? Thanks for the suggestions!(y)

Plecos will get too big I think. And I have a dwarf gourami with my rams and soon some keyhole cichlids but if u provide hiding places I'm sure they'll be fine. What kind of live bearers are you thinking about?

Brandonaki360 said:
I love the idea of Rams. Would they be ok with livebearers, or should it be a species only tank? Also, whats everyones take on a pleco or BN pleco in this tank? Thanks for the suggestions!(y)

The bn pleco only gets around 5 in. It should be fine. I have one in my 29G :)

Not sure about the types of livebearers. Possibly swordtails, guppies or something. Also wondering, how many Rams would be possible in this tank? I read somewhere that one blue ram per 20 gals, but not sure about other rams. Any other ideas are also appreciated. Thanks! This is my first "larger" aquarium as my other tanks are around 5 gals. Lightly planted.

Blue rams seem hard to keep, according to some research, not sure if i want to attempt that.

Try some apistogramma borelli. They are hardy and adapt well to our water.

Some people say that rams don't do good with guppies because of their long flowing fins. I have never had that problem. You could try to attempt it, just have a spare tank just in case.

Some people say that rams don't do good with guppies because of their long flowing fins. I have never had that problem. You could try to attempt it, just have a spare tank just in case.
I will probably try that If I go the Ram route. Thanks for the contribution! (y)

I made a small list of possible fish for this tank, according to some quick research. I know most of this is opinion based, and sorry for asking so many darn questions, but which of these fish would work? and/or work together?

-BN pleco (I think this is a must for me, I love these guys)
-Apistogramma borelli
-Yellow lab
-Mbuna Cichlid
-Neon dwarf Gourami
-Electric Yellow Cichlid
-Guppys
-Neon tetras (I have 3 in a 5 gallon and I want to move them to the 29 gallon with more tetras as is proper).
-Rams

Whats your thoughts? I definately want the BN Pleco, but I would love Cichlids, if that is a possibility. Again, sorry for so many questions but I want to be sure I'm not doing things wrong, like how I did in the past....i.e. 3 neons in a 5 gallon.....:hide:

Brandonaki360 said:
I made a small list of possible fish for this tank, according to some quick research. I know most of this is opinion based, and sorry for asking so many darn questions, but which of these fish would work? and/or work together?

-BN pleco (I think this is a must for me, I love these guys)
-Apistogramma borelli
-Yellow lab
-Mbuna Cichlid
-Neon dwarf Gourami
-Electric Yellow Cichlid
-Guppys
-Neon tetras (I have 3 in a 5 gallon and I want to move them to the 29 gallon with more tetras as is proper).
-Rams

Whats your thoughts? I definately want the BN Pleco, but I would love Cichlids, if that is a possibility. Again, sorry for so many questions but I want to be sure I'm not doing things wrong, like how I did in the past....i.e. 3 neons in a 5 gallon.....:hide:

I'm not sure about cichlids but I don't think the electric yellow lab will work. Someone wi more experience on cichlids will hopefully help you out.

Ok thanks for the info. I will post in the Cichlid forum. If not, I may stick with livebearers.

the african cichlids (mbuna) need to be kept only with other african cichlids because they are pretty aggressive, and also require a PH above 7.6 guppies and small tetras will be lunch for them. A 29 gallon is also too small for africans IMO.

yellow lab - no
mbuna cichlid - no ( a yellow lab is a mbuna)
electric yellow - no same thing as a yellow lab

neon tetra's are fine
the rams are peaceful community fish

BN pleco should be fine, just don't get a common pleco
they get REALLY big

Hows this list for the 29 gallon?

-Bolivian Ram
-Marble Angel X2
-BN pleco
-Neon Dwarf Gourami X2
-Dwarf Cichlid
-Neon tetras
-(Possibly guppies)

Is this considered overstocked? What would work and what wouldn't?

Back
Top Bottom