29 gallon stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derekjr312

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys,
I recently got a new 29-gallon tank and was wanting some ideas for stocking it.

I am not new to fish keeping just want ideas:)

yes, that's what I was leaning towards, I need some other fish to stock as well, would I be able to put a small Pictus catfish in?

Yes you can put a pictus in there. Full grown even. I know some are going to disagree but I keep an angel with a pictus in a 29g. Just give the pictus a cave of some sort that he can hang out in and feel comfortable. And forget about keeping small, skinny schooling fish.....he will eat them at night.

Awesome! are there any other fish that I could stick in there to make it look a little bit more full?

I know some people like the concept of a "centerpiece" fish, but I'm not. Virtually all fish live in schools or shoals or groups and to isolate one of one species is not, in my opinion, appropriate. We all know that tetras and barbs do best in schools in our tanks, as do most other fish. So why isolate one of a species? Our fish are social creatures and should be recognized as such. I firmly believe that fish are healthier, behave better, and, although this is a stretch - happier, with others of their own kind.

You can add more full bodied tetras or schooling fish. Add the pictus last as a juvenile. Same with the Angel.

Rlederer makes a valid point.

Back
Top Bottom