29 Gallon Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CGOOD

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am relatively new to the aquarium hobby overall, and have thorougly enjoyed learning as I go. Few mishaps out of the gate with 10 gallon tank and not knowing cycling, luckily only lost a couple of fish. Since I have updgraded to a 29 gallon planted tank and all the fish are happy and healthy. My question is for all you out there with much more expertise and experience than myself, is around the age old question of stocking.

Keeping in mind all the rules/myths out there about inches per gallong etc.. and that all things considered its a good guideline rather than a golden rule, based on tank, filtration, etc....

Here is what I have currently:
  • 29 Gallon, moderately planted tank, with a few pieces od driftwood, few rocks, and one large cave. I have two HOB filters on is an Aquaclear 50, and the other is an Aqueon 30, creates some good flow and current for the fish. Water quality is good and tested weekly.
  • I have 2 Arulius barbs, 3 rosy barbs, and 5 Cory Cats. All of the fish seem to get along great, and have fun together, swimming a lot, seem to be playful and happy. Feed a combo of flake, sinking pellets for the cory cats and some fresh spinach to keep the barbs away from the plants.
My question is with regards to stocking, I have been toying with the idea of adding a few otocinclus cats for taking care of the little bit of Algae that does show up. Would I be overstocking the tank? Everyone in the tank is happy and healthy, so am I better off just leaving well enough alone?

Any and all input is appreciated.

I don't think so. Not at all! Otto's stay small and they're a fun addition to any tank.

I am relatively new to the aquarium hobby overall, and have thorougly enjoyed learning as I go. Few mishaps out of the gate with 10 gallon tank and not knowing cycling, luckily only lost a couple of fish. Since I have updgraded to a 29 gallon planted tank and all the fish are happy and healthy. My question is for all you out there with much more expertise and experience than myself, is around the age old question of stocking.

Keeping in mind all the rules/myths out there about inches per gallong etc.. and that all things considered its a good guideline rather than a golden rule, based on tank, filtration, etc....

Here is what I have currently:
  • 29 Gallon, moderately planted tank, with a few pieces od driftwood, few rocks, and one large cave. I have two HOB filters on is an Aquaclear 50, and the other is an Aqueon 30, creates some good flow and current for the fish. Water quality is good and tested weekly.
  • I have 2 Arulius barbs, 3 rosy barbs, and 5 Cory Cats. All of the fish seem to get along great, and have fun together, swimming a lot, seem to be playful and happy. Feed a combo of flake, sinking pellets for the cory cats and some fresh spinach to keep the barbs away from the plants.
My question is with regards to stocking, I have been toying with the idea of adding a few otocinclus cats for taking care of the little bit of Algae that does show up. Would I be overstocking the tank? Everyone in the tank is happy and healthy, so am I better off just leaving well enough alone?

Any and all input is appreciated.

You have enough room to fill out your barb school, and they would be happier:). 8 is a good number.

Hello and welcome to AA!

It sounds like a great tank for oto's. They will do best in a well established tank. They often will not accept supplements, epsecially not right away, so to be sure the tank can provide enough food for them I would stock them once the tank has been set up for atleast 6 months. 3-5 of them would not be overstocking.

Your barbs are schoolers and will be happier if you up there school size to 6 of each.

Back
Top Bottom