29 gallon suprise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
also i was wondering if i can still be adjusting salinity with live rock in the tank?.. is it like fish and corals and get shocked by sudden changes?

thanks again

Not a problem you would still need to cycle your tank anyways so it will not hurt anything....

whats the best way to go about lowering ph? does that stuff that they sell at big als actually work i think its called perfect PH or something. i have yet to turn the thermometer on ... as i ran out of plugs and only have power bars without grounds..

yeah thats what i figured... to clarify what i read in the article 1 peice of shrimp should be perfect for 29 gallons correct?... do i let it completely rott to nothing?... do i remove the hard peice?

-Brad

whats the best way to go about lowering ph? does that stuff that they sell at big als actually work i think its called perfect PH or something. i have yet to turn the thermometer on ... as i ran out of plugs and only have power bars without grounds..

yeah thats what i figured... to clarify what i read in the article 1 peice of shrimp should be perfect for 29 gallons correct?... do i let it completely rott to nothing?... do i remove the hard peice?

-Brad

I would not worry about you PH level till your cycling is almost done. Your PH would go down once you start doing PWC weekly. I am sure you started reading the Article about Fishless cycle. That's would be your best way to cycle without harming any fish along the way.

-Brad

One nice size piece would workout great. Once your done and it's all rotten you can leave it in there once you get your first CUC for a nice snack. Or first Feast.....,:)

I would not worry about you PH level till your cycling is almost done. Your PH would go down once you start doing PWC weekly. I am sure you started reading the Article about Fishless cycle. That's would be your best way to cycle without harming any fish along the way.

Rock on. one less thing off the mind. so my misson tomorow is to get 30ish pounds of live rock... some base rock and 5 cents worth of completely unprocessed shrimp.

sound like a plan? or am i really missing something.

also is it better to shut off the powerhead and filter to get the dust to settle in the tank?

thanks again

-Brad

You can keep it on that way the water clears up faster. usually it would take about 2-5 days for it be crystal clear.

even with no cartridge and no bioballs.

all that i have in the back right now is the skimmer in chamber 1. so pieces of large rock that came in the sand... when i say large i mean like 2 inchs. in chamber 3 is the pump and sponge.

would putting an air rock in there speed it up... or would that be counter effective?

thanks again
-Brad

Do you have any old HOB filter? I do, so I put it on my tank with nothing but filter floss, water was crystal clear in < 24 hours.

Otherwise, without some form of mechanical filtration, you just have to let it settle. Leave everything running, it'll collect in a corner somewhere that can be vacuumed out.

Also, on your pH, make sure you have good surface agitation, this will help it.

ive angled one of my biocube cartidges into the second chamber... hopefully this helps.

also... what does HOB mean? lol

-Brad

it wouldent fit on anywhere... ive got a little fluval deal that came with me 2.5 gal betta tank... would that help?

-Brad

yeah, anything that can get you some mechanical filtration will help. If you have filter floss laying around, that's the best stuff, but like I said, any mechanical filtration will speed this along and clear out your water.

Hey Brad, Here is our article on cycling. You dont need to worry about PH right now. It will move all around during the cycle. The only thing you need to test for during the cycle is ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Once your cycle is over and you`ve done a PWC you can worry about the other parameters then. Congrats on the new tank.

THIS IS SOO EXCITING lol

went to big als today and got my live rock. 44lbs of it... is that enough?

heres some pictures for you
img_935246_0_2bb1ec81c3027f25b88ee687204b6abe.jpg

img_935246_1_ac9158179b5c72f1c7aa042275cdbb3e.jpg

img_935246_2_e024dfeffec0beec55187ea56410ed4e.jpg

img_935246_3_0edeca45e07dadefbdcb7df088ecbecb.jpg

img_935246_4_ccde248b148bbc4a8af01ab5c17692a7.jpg

img_935246_5_f322aada089ca8d110daea1d117b8dc8.jpg

img_935246_6_7ae409bd453a1fdc2e667c6967d27735.jpg

i was wondering what are the odds of all these little corals and sponges surviving the cycle? they are literally everywhere on this awesome rock.

Right now my levels are
NO2 .25ppm
N03 0
amonia 0
ph 8.8
temp 78
SG 1.025 (slow and steady wins the race)

added a couple pinchs of fish food (all the grocery store had was cooked shrimp) Heres to a good cycle

-Brad

Very nice rocks there!!! Pretty little corals... 44Lbs should be sufficient enough for 29gal, now is just the waiting time :)... great start Brad!

can anyone identify that polyp? also what are those little wormy things... i assumed life was good.

is the cycle going to be shorter because of the rock being pre cured?

thank you all for your help

Brad

Common Mushroom, and they look like Tube Worms. Let me make on suggestion once your done cycling I would try to do a re-scape and push your live rock more towards the back coming forward.JMO... :)

I agree, looks like a mushroom and either tubeworms or feather dusters.
Yes, the cycle may go quicker with cured LR. I would shoot for 1.5-2Lbs of rock per gallon. Next time you look at LR, see if you can pick up some that is very porous.

there is some very very porus rock.... i just dropped the rock in to try and get it into the water and get the cycle going... im going to scape it as soon as i can see my hand in the tank

are my levels normal?

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom