29 or 30 breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EmperorFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im remodeling my room and in the process I'm getting ideas as I go along.I considering on breeding Picasso Clowns, and I been doing research for a couple of months. I study the forums, read a lot threads and ideas. Its mind blowing on the stuff i read and really great experts. I even purchased Marin book to help a long on more specific marine and hopeful info. I haven't gotten the tank of yet, still debating if 29 gallon 30x12x18 would suitable for a breeder or a 30 gallon 36x18x12 breeder. I don't want take up too much space but still want Ecosystem they an thrive in and flourish. I'll be also waiting 8 months for the tank to mature once I establish a great fish are comfortable. So I can add coral in the full mature stage.I been day and night researching and very patienly, and I been purchasing items little by little. Therefore I need your advice one of the 2 tank that will work. I do have list of item and stock choses. Appreciate you advice and knowledge, but I missing anything on the list feel free to add on.

29-30 Gallon Setup
~ Aquaclear 70 -100
~ 30-40 lbs Dry Rock (Bulkreefsupply) Pukani Dry Eco
~ 2x Koralias 550's
~GFO Phosphate Remover Bags /Media Foam / Pure Elite Bags Media
~Sand Aragonite Samoa Pink
~Clean up Crew ( Reefcleaner.org)
~ Test kit Purchased ( Red Sea Master kit, Algae Control) Furthermore next to buy Hanna Checker ( Phosphate, Nitrite)
~Refractometer
~Heater
~ Digital Thermometer /Timers
~ Salt ( Crystal Reef ) Purchased
~ Purchased Pocket Expert Guide Marine Book
~ Lighting [Any Suggestion ] Affordable
~ Skimmer [ Any Suggestion] Affordable If need it
~ PWC 10% -20 weekly
~ RODI First to buy from [Bulkreefsupply.com]

Quantitate Tank I have empty ready to go....

Stock List
Breeding
1x Picasso Snowflake ownfish
1 xBlack Ocellaris
1x Watchman Goby
Any Suggest on stock feel free.

Thank You I'll be very grateful

Haha its because you know what you wanna do and you have no questions! Haha dont take it to offence, its a compliment. Lol you are ready to go!!

lol ya that's true , I got some ideas from your 30 gallon thread it expired me to build one. :) An thanks to you can't wait, but I need some advice on more fish in fish stock. Don't know 2 clowns and a goby would do enough but need some more companion. Thanks Nu Nu

The tank you want will depend on the size of your fish. I am unfamiliar with your livestock.

If you ever want a skimmer, I'm a fan of the Reef Octopus. If you just want a starter skimmer, then look on craigslist for any HOB skimmer because its better than nothing.

I do not think you need the Aqauclear. Your weekly water change is a good way to mechanically remove any waste. The Aquaclear just adds more to your maintenance schedule and use more of your electricity.

I applaud your research prior to posting.

well thanks Im planning on a 30 gallon I wanted to ac 70 for some filtration and also I'm actually DIY second ac 70 refugium, lighting, chaeto, maybe some copepods breeding and some pieces of coral. The list stock was Snowflake Picasso Clownfish & Black and White clownfish and a certain goby type. I would like some tips other friendly companion I can include in the stock . I know the water change will do the trick but I want to back myself up to have some sort of filtration.

I would go with the 40g breeder, much better footprint than the 29g. :) Either tank will be good for what you wanna do though.

I would use the aquaclear for mechanical filtration and if you need to run GFO or carbon, never a bad idea to have too much filtration. lol As far as the skimmer, if you do weekly water changes and don't over stock or over feed you should be good without one. If you do want one I had a remora I liked a whole lot and there are other brands that can be hung on the back of the tank that will do a good job.

For lighting it all depends on your budget. You can go with $750 ones or check out the below links for ideas.

Aquatraders - Guaranteed Best Prices on Aquarium Lightings + Free Shipping!
fish need it;lights; food;Sponge

Both sites have some good entry level lights. I have fixtures from them both, the fishneedit being a tad bit better quality than the aquatrader one, BUT you can't have moonlights or a timer with the fishneedit one. Either fixture in my opinion would require new bulbs so figure that in as well. I like ATI bulbs, great color and not too harsh on the wallet. lol

Good luck!

well thanks Carey for you support and the lighting would be suitable. In terms of 40 gallon, well do no good . it's too big and I already got rid of a 75 gallon I had. So so I need something roomy and I wanted to go with a 30 gallon breeder.

Yah the timer would be sweet and fishneedit has good fixture, but either or would be find and I'll looking into to them. Im already looking into Craigslist finding a perfect 30 gallon tank....

I have a 29 gallon fish tank with 45 lbs of dry rock and 3inch of Fiji pink sand. Been cycling with shrimp for 30 days counting today no light and diatom not so much. As of now the shrimp has disappeared nothing left of it and the parameter are :

Day 30th 1/18
PO4: 0.08
NO3: 0.05
Nitrite: 0.0
PH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.023
Ammo: 0.0

My question is should I do a water change and how much should I do 10% or 20 etc. Should I wait another 2 weeks or so? Let me know any suggestion be great....

P.S I also have a QT running 14 days ...

I have a 29 gallon fish tank with 45 lbs of dry rock and 3inch of Fiji pink sand. Been cycling with shrimp for 30 days counting today no light and diatom not so much. As of now the shrimp has disappeared nothing left of it and the parameter are :

Day 30th 1/18
PO4: 0.08
NO3: 0.05
Nitrite: 0.0
PH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.023
Ammo: 0.0

My question is should I do a water change and how much should I do 10% or 20 etc. Should I wait another 2 weeks or so? Let me know any suggestion be great....

P.S I also have a QT running 14 days ...

.05 ppm nitrate?

If you havnt done a water change then you should have more nitrates then that after cycling? Maybe test again. What are you testing with?

I been testing it with Redsea Test kit algae pro.. its been like that for a few days.. but I wanted to make sure to make a w/c ....

I haven't done any water changes for the 30 days...and retested an it was 0.25 in result .... so not sure if I should wait or make the water change ...

Back
Top Bottom