29g Biocube build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

water_man11

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, back into the marine game after 21 years! I started the tank 12.29.11.

20# livesand
30# LR
3 nerites
1 fighting Conch
4 dwarf blue leg hermits
1 Halloween hermit
2 snails (forget name)
1skunk shrimp
2 ocellaris
Asst palys and zoas
Leather toadstool
Green shelf Monti
Long tenticle anenome

I lost a pepper mint shrimp and a watchman goby, pH drop. I am dosing buffer/kH, the Monti is growing and depleting the cal.

I have mod the filter to media basket, chemipure and that other Di media. I have a five, but I am waiting for the light.

the shrimp is hosting in the LTA, wish the fish would. May trade the ocellaris for clarkiis, not sure the ocellaris are doing so well and are very bonded, I am sure they will spawn.

Doing 5 g WC every 5 days.

ForumRunner_20120216_142114.jpg

ForumRunner_20120216_142141.jpg

Looks good. Have you looked into an sr3 skimmer? I noticed a huge difference when I installed one on my gf's biocube

I thought that right now I go with just water changes and a fuge when the light comes in. Algae had not been a problem. If I find that algae and nutrients get to be an issue, then i will concider one.

Photo Update

I wanted to post the 2 corals that are growing the best. They are the green Monti and a green toadstool. I wish I taken pictures of them when I got them 3 weeks ago.

Said connection crashed, try again.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120217_115936.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120217_115936.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 203
  • ForumRunner_20120217_115952.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120217_115952.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 215
You shouldnt have to be dosing if you are doing water changes every five days. :) What kind of salt do you use? Most salt mixes have all the calcium you'll need.

Reef crystals. The pH drops and kH as well. Not sure why, so I assume the Monti and the snails (I see shell growth). Is that a correct assumption?

Ph drops is kinda normal, not sure about the kh though. Mine drops 1 dkh a day pretty much but I have like 40 corals or more in my tank so I know where it's going. :)

A good salt mix should automatically adjust the ph, dkh and calcium to natural seawater levels.

What salt mix do you recommend? I do see the the pH and buffering at a good reading for at least 2 days after Wc, then it starts dropping. Wc tomorrow morning BTW.

I have been using regular old instant ocean reef crystals. I am going to be switching to red sea after i finish up the I/O. How much are you dropping as far as ph and alkalinity? Do you have good surface agitation via powerheads? That can help keep your ph up. :)

I have a 400 gph korlina powerhead. The ph is 8.4 after water change then will go to 7.8 or 7.6. Can't remember kh off hand. I mix the salt with to water. So that has no buffering capacity. So this is why I think the vitals and what not are depleting the cal

I went to a frag swap today and came home with 5 sps frags. When i got home the birdnest and a Monti broke off the plug, so I put them in the hands of Buddha.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120219_180711.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120219_180711.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 190
Now my Long Tenticle Anenome has divided! The thing grew so big to begin with, now there are 2! It is hard to take a picture of it, since it planted it self into a crevice in a piece of live rock.

Will try and photo it

Are you using the stock BC29 Lighting or the HQI? The stock for the hooded BC29 is 36w 10k and 36w Actinic. Is this enough for your nem? Also, the nems require a well established tank with parameters that are not fluctuating. Your pH swings sound like that might not be the case here. It is possible that the split was actually due to the conditions being less than ideal since your tank is only about 2 months old. Not trying to harp but thought I would mention that you may want to keep an eye on these guys so you don't have a poisoned tank at some point.

Also, when do you do your PH testing? Lighting can have an impact on PH as it will slowly increase throughout the day and then start dropping as the lights go off. If you were to check right before lights off and then again right after lights on you may think that your PH is dropping more than it really is.

The pH has stabilized. I am running stock light, will be adding led to it shortly.

The LTA did not split, turns out that it was was eating some mysis it caught and just apeared that way.

What led do you recommend to add to the Biocube canopy?

I have seen a couple of the LED mod kits both for sale and custom built on various sites. I personally don't have any experience with this. I am keeping low light corals and seahorses in my tank so I don't necessarily need more lighting. If you do an internet search for Biocube 29 LED mod/kit you should find plenty of options. I have also seen the AI Sol placed in the BC29 hood but that unit is pretty expensive.

I need to upgrade the lights soon, the Monti cap, is growing but loosing color. Just found something, will post a link shortly and I hope to get your thoughts.

I do like the look of what you posted for your led uograde

Back
Top Bottom