29g planted stocking and underactive fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJ_117

Aquarium Advice Activist
Before I ask the questions I have, I'll give you my current stock;
Guppy x1
Pristella Tetras x6
Swordtail x1
Dwarf Gourami x1
Juvenile BN pleco x1
Mystery Snail x1

My question is, what kind of more active fish can I get? The guppy is pretty active (I had 3 others but sadly they passed) but is small and stays near the top. The DG just hides really and the swordtail snoops around the substrate. The tetras school together but literally stay in one spot. In general my fish aren't overly active.

I really don't think there's any problem with them because my water parameters are fine, and they don't look like they're suffering. My tank is somewhat sparsely planted so that might be an issue (don't worry, I have much more plants on the way).

Should I get more tetras? I was thinking about getting 4 or so more to have a larger school. I also wanted to get more guppies so the one doesn't look too out of place. I'm also set on getting a bamboo shrimp too... so after that what else could I fit that would work?

Something else I was considering was getting an apisto, rehoming the DG, and keeping the rest of the stock low (although I'm not very knowledgeable about cichlids). But that idea is still very up in the air.

Anyways sorry for the wall of text, and as always any input is greatly appreciated.

I generally like tetras in groups of 10+ so you'd likely see more activity with them in higher numbers. How heavily planted is your tank and how long has it been set up?

An apistogramma would be a nice addition (with the subtraction of the DG), although they aren't overly active (except perhaps when food is involved) and generally do a lot of lurking on the lower strata amongst plants and decor.

The tank is not heavily planted at the moment, but I am ordering many more plants soon.

Also the tank has been up for about 6 months now

Yeah, I'd get another half-dozen Pristellas. If you want an extra active species, don't one that occupies the top of the tank. The gourami will not like that.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The gourami mainly stays near the bottom in the plants, he seldom goes into the upper parts of the tank unless I walk near it. Would 6 more oversyock my tank? The six I have school very loosely and are not very active, so I had the same idea of getting more to encourage a proper school

Most schooling fish tend to school very loosely once they grow comfortable in a tank unless there are larger fish that may intimidate them patrolling around. Out of the many schooling fish I have tried only rummynose tetras maintained that sort of tight schooling look after a lengthy period of time. I'm still in favor of increasing the size of your school. As far as the gourami goes, they like lots of cover particularly near the surface. Floating plants can help provide shade from bright light and I've found my gourami look less washed out when the lighting has been a bit dimmed. Floating/tall cover plants could likely increase overall activity amongst your fish.

Back
Top Bottom