29G Viquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
Considering turning an empty 29 I have into a half aquarium, half vivarium. Not really sure where to start though. I am thinking I want the water to be around 10-12" deep with several species of aquatic plants, and have some terrestrial area for some bog plants. Maybe a waterfall to tie it together. Maybe a canister filter to provide filtration and lifting power for the water feature?

I really don't even know where to start - has anyone seen any good threads or articles out there to build a viquarium? I have seen a lot of vivarium stuff, but most of them only have a little tiny pool of water.

you are looking for a paludarium, not a vivarium. a quick google search should turn up some good articles.

you may find it hard filtering your paludarium using a canister due to the shape and length of the intake and return plumbing, but with a little handy work it is possible to DIY something.

Thanks guys. The link was very helpful!
I think I found what I want to model my tank off of...
Paludarium Construction Photo Journal - The Planted Tank

I am a little concerned about how to bend and shape the plexiglass as this person did - I lack the tools and the know how. But it seems like it might be a lot less mess and time consuming than using eggcrate and great stuff. The great stuff seems like it would just be a mess. The cork bark on the back looks good too I think.

i was working on one recently, but i ended up going a different route with it. i cant get a hold of anything cool to go on the dry side :(
looks like i may be building a vivarium instead.

I just went to Ace Hardware on a scouting trip. Looks like they have a lot of stuff I can use... thinking about dividing wet and dry with lexan glass, and building a water fall to flow into a small river that will eventually run into the wet side. The only thing they didn't have was sheets up lexan. Does anyone know a common store where I can buy some? It looks like it will be easier to mold than plexiglass... just heat it up and it becomes pretty flexible. I want the shoreline to have curves, I don't like the straight line look that you invariably end up with when using glass or plexiglass as the divider.

Back
Top Bottom