29GL Lighting help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shrek_vn2002

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
I just upgrade my tank by buying a new light. (Current USA Satellite Single Compact Fluorescent, 1X65 Watt, 30 inch). My tank is 29GL, 30inch W. The light has 65 Watt SmartPaq 50/50 Lamp (10,000K/460nm Actinics) but I think it's too bright. It isnt please for my eyes !! Anybody have the same problem like me? Should I buy a new bulb? Can I go with 65 watt – 22"
SunPaq Dual Daylight 6700°K/10000°K ? Or SunPaq Daylight 6700°K ? Somebody say 6700 is too yellow. But 10,000K is too bright for me...

Thanks for your comments and advices.

In general the bulb you have is for saltwater corals and such, the "10,000K/460nm Actinics" its going to look blueish I would guess.

For freshwater normally 5,000k-10,000k is good usable light for plants, its more of a white light and not as blue.

For fish only you can use whatever bulb you want really just for veiwing, whatever looks best to you.

I have a 65w CF fixture over my 29g tank, and my plants thrive. Mine has a 6700K bulb.

Thanks,
I dont have a lot of plants but I got an idea of cover the rock with java moss or Pelia. I also need lots of plant for the foreground but i dont know what kind of plan is easy to grow. (I killed almost 50$ for plant before i figured that I need a new light !! )

Here is my ugly tank ... It's so blue because of the Actinics light....
p1qp8.jpg

Thanks again.

Like was said before, plants need lighting in the 5000 to 10000k range, any bulb in the range will be good for your plants, so you can choose what's pleasing to you in the range. 5500K or 6700k are much "warmer" colors to the eye with a yellow tinge, as where higher K bulbs are much whiter/bluer.

I have that same exact fixture on my 20 gallon, and I use the SunPaq Dual Daylight 6700°K/10000°K, because that's the look I like.

Back
Top Bottom