2nd Aquarium Fast Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GeorgeFrancis222

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys!

I have had a 15 Gallon (54L), 24 x 12 x 12 inch (60 x 30 x 30 cm) aquarium since October, although it had it's problems to start with it has generally been going good since mid November. Stocking wise I think it is not too bad, but I have since noted some errors and have decided to buy a larger aquarium. I have purchased a 47 Gallon (180L) full aquarium set. Unfortunately the glass of the tank was broken, that is not a problem as I have been ordered a new one free by the pet shop. I have kept the filter that came with it and decided to run it in my 15 gallon so it can quickly get all the necessary bacteria from a healthy tank. My question is this:

If I were to run the 180L filter as a second filter in my 54L, would I be able to gain the necessary bacteria in approximately 8 days? If I were to then take the filter and put it in the new 180L one, doing a large water change on the 54L and putting that water into the new 180L one, would that be a auto-cycled tank?

Many thanks,

GF :)

Not in 8 days, no, more like 3-4 weeks.

You could just switch everything over to the new tank, including the filter that's on the 15 gal now and run it with the larger filter on the larger tank. THen you can move your fish over right away. Your 15 gal filter has enough bacteria to sustain your current stock so if you kept the same fish you have now you shouldn't have any problems. Wait 2-3 weeks to let the new filter seed a bit, and then you could start adding fish slowly and watching for toxin spikes if any occurs. That would be the easiest way I think.

Thanks, so should I put some of the 15 gal water in there too to stop any ammonia spikes etc? I could drain, say 90% of the 15 gal in to the 47 gal so it would be like a large water change. I have a little filter designed for 10 gal aquaria that I have in my shrimp tank, should I leave that one running in the 15 gal while the other 2 filters work in the 15? Just so I don't have to cycle the 15 again as I would like to keep some of the population in there.

If you want to keep both running take half of the filter media from your already established filter and put it in your new tank's filter. There is almost no bacteria in the water so it is not worth it. However adding a small amount of gravel From your already established tank will help with spikes. Your new tank is now cycled. You will have to monitor carefully for ammo and nitrites and change water three times a week for the first two weeks but after that you should be okay.

Back
Top Bottom