3 Days and going strong - need help with the next step??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HollieDahhrlinn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
I have a 4 gallon tank with 2 paradise fish and 2 platys.
Its been 3 days since i got my fish and i am getting a white furry type substance on my plants. I am almost 100% sure its a kind of algae that an algae eater would devour in no time at all,
The problem is - which algae eater?
My pet store advised me to get a sucking loach or 2. I am a little bit reluctant to get 2 as my tank is quite small anyway - would one be alright on its own or should i go for the 2? I am aware there should be more than 1 but i need advice?

Please reply - Thankks x
HollieDahhrlinn

These algae eaters can be quite aggressive I think. I have a 180ltr tank and I had 2 but only one now. The biggest killed the other one. My one does a good job anyway so I would stick to one. If you want you could purchase some ottos, they are alot smaller and do a brillant job, you can keep alot of these in the same tank

I am assuming you did not cycle your tank before adding fish? The white stuff is most likely bacteria which fish will not eat. You need to do a water change.

Do you have a test kit? If so test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

As stated in your other thread, your tank is too small to add any algae eater in the same tank.

I am assuming you did not cycle your tank before adding fish? The white stuff is most likely bacteria which fish will not eat. You need to do a water change.

Do you have a test kit? If so test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

As stated in your other thread, your tank is too small to add any algae eater in the same tank.

My fish pick at it, is it harming them?

On new tanks, they experience a bacteria bloom of some sorts, causing a furry like blanket on everything. Mine did at first, and it simply went away with the part water changes, and occasionally taking plants and decorations out and rinsing in a bucket of aquarium water. Omnivorous fish seem to enjoy to pick it off and snack on it, mine did and there were no problems! I dont think theres a need for an algae eater in already such a small and also new (lacking particular nutritious algae) aquarium. Hopefully someone more educated can back me uo on this.
Good luck and sounds beautiful!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom