3 Dead Fish in One Day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicolea

Aquarium Advice Activist
As per my LFS; by black ocellaris scratched his eye and got a bacterial infection. I brought him to the LFS and they are treating him there. Today I took him in and today 3 Fish died. Could the infection of wiped out the fish in my tank?
I have only 2 left. 1 chromi and 1 clown goby. :(

My water is perfect, the only thing I know is wrong w my tank is I dont have enough LR, I got into a bigger tank so I need about 20lbs of more LR, could this have anything to do with it?

I also only have 2 blackfoot snails; I cant find the other one. Could it be dead somewhere and killing the fish? Could it have crawled out of the tank? I have lids, there is small openings where the HOB filter is and skimmer.

My ammonia was at 0.25 for a few days but did a WC yesterday and its good now.

What are the nitrites? Nitrates? Temp of tank? Size of tank? Specific gravity? Need more info to help.

Beengirl said:
What are the nitrites? Nitrates? Temp of tank? Size of tank? Specific gravity? Need more info to help.

Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Ammonia: 0-0.25- not completely yellow
Temp:80
Size: 50 gallon
SG: 1.023

Beengirl said:

Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Ammonia: 0-0.25 (tint of green; not completely yellow)
Temp: 80*F-81*F
Size: 50 gallon
SG: 1.023

How old is the tank? Did it cycle? To have zero nitrates and some ammonia be present kinda tells me that it's not cycled. :(

Beengirl said:
How old is the tank? Did it cycle? To have zero nitrates and some ammonia be present kinda tells me that it's not cycled. :(

A month. I had my ammonia spike to 8, than drop, than trates and trites spiked than dropped. My LFS said it sounds like it did cycle. I did the raw shrimp thing. I did have an over feeding problem a couples days ago. Lots of food in filter. Also a dead snail i believe might be somewhere i can't see.

Did the fish die suddenly or were there any signs of distress or difficulty breathing?

Beengirl said:
Did the fish die suddenly or were there any signs of distress or difficulty breathing?

Everyone was doing fine? Eating as well no one looked stressed. The clown started w a white dot, like a spec of sand. Than today it looked like ick or something only on its one eye. Lfs says bacterial infection. We took him out and as soon as we returned from the store. 3 were dead, found 4th in its hiding spot dead too.

nicolea said:
Everyone was doing fine? Eating as well no one looked stressed. The clown started w a white dot, like a spec of sand. Than today it looked like ick or something only on its one eye. Lfs says bacterial infection. We took him out and as soon as we returned from the store. 3 were dead, found 4th in its hiding spot dead too.

One chromi is alive.

Well, that is very strange. And nothing was accidentally introduced into tank when you were getting sick clown out? No chemicals, perfumes, lotions, etc on anyone's hands? Nothing on the net you used to get him out? It seems very strange that so many would die in such a short time period when all were acting fine before that. That almost seems like something toxic was introduced into the water. You might want to do a good sized PWC just to be on the safe side. I hope your chromis hangs in there. And I hope your clown gets better soon.

Beengirl said:
Well, that is very strange. And nothing was accidentally introduced into tank when you were getting sick clown out? No chemicals, perfumes, lotions, etc on anyone's hands? Nothing on the net you used to get him out? It seems very strange that so many would die in such a short time period when all were acting fine before that. That almost seems like something toxic was introduced into the water. You might want to do a good sized PWC just to be on the safe side. I hope your chromis hangs in there. And I hope your clown gets better soon.

thanks ya im not sure what happened... nothing was introduced that i am aware of ... i was thinking maybe they were acclimated properly? i did it over 2 hours!!!! like 1 tbsp every 15 minutes... i duno what happened.... i feel bad they all died i dont know what i did... but im not adding anymore fish anytime soon.. im gonna get some live rock in there and put in a peppermint shrimp cuz ive still got aptasia.. (OHHHHH, i did use aptasia X in there?) maybe they ate some? it wasnt alot ..
either way.. no fish for me im gonna get some corals and live rock and hold off! thanks for your help and your well wishes :D

The last of the fish died. My LFS said water is perfect .... Corals are doing fine... Seems like since I added two fish from LFS my tank went down hill. I'm going to go there and talk to them about it. The 2 fish were from another store, not my regular.

OKAY!!!!!!! i never thought about this... i bought some dry base rock, the white fiji type rock,,, the LFS said rinse it under hot water, i did, put it in.... boom 24hrs later all my fish are dead. I called them they want a water sample... my water is perfect that is not the problem. But they dont guarantee anything... so they wont reimburse anything. IT HAD TO BE THAT ROCK! i removed it .. well see i guess :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom