3 dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowmaker_unit4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to fish. I have had 3 die this week. I have only had an aquarium for 3 weeks all water samples look good. Not sure what is going on. Any ideas?

Can you give a few more details? Aquarium setup, stock list, what type of water test are you doing (strips or liquid). A little more info should be helpful. Being that the tank is only 3 weeks old im wondering how well you are cycled. Did you dobfish in or fishless cycle?

I ran my aquarium for one week fish less I had 2 dalmation mollies 2 sharks 2 swordtails 3 Mickey Mouse platties a snail and a pocassimus the pocassimus on mollie and a sword tail died I put them in 3 at a time a week a part I have a liquid master test kit and did all the tests which came back excellent

It is a 30 gallon aquarium with two 3" bubbler disc and a filter big enough for a 50 gallon tank. Like I said I am very new to all this

Sharks??? That tank may be way overstocked with the sharks alone. I read somewhere that they need like 50 gallons of water for 1. But i may be wrong. Although if you are talking bala, silver tip, or rainbow sharks, they can get close to a foot plus. Like i said i may be wrong as i have never kept sharks before.

I ran my aquarium for one week fish less I had 2 dalmation mollies 2 sharks 2 swordtails 3 Mickey Mouse platties a snail and a pocassimus the pocassimus on mollie and a sword tail died I put them in 3 at a time a week a part I have a liquid master test kit and did all the tests which came back excellent

running it for one week isnt enough and you are going through the nitrogen cycle. read this
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

What exactly are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

How long has it been since you've done a water change?

How often do you do water changes?

What exactly are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

How long has it been since you've done a water change?

How often do you do water changes?

Ammonia was .113, nitrite 0, nitrate was 20 have only done one 15% water change a week ago

Sharks??? That tank may be way overstocked with the sharks alone. I read somewhere that they need like 50 gallons of water for 1. But i may be wrong. Although if you are talking bala, silver tip, or rainbow sharks, they can get close to a foot plus. Like i said i may be wrong as i have never kept sharks before.

My biggest fish is about 2"

Ammonia was .113, nitrite 0, nitrate was 20 have only done one 15% water change a week ago

You're going through the nitrogen cycle, your fish are dying from ammonia poisoning. Ammonia must always be at 0. Do 60-70% water changes until that ammonia gets down and continue to maintain large water changes until you're cycled.

As for the fish you added too many too fast. You still haven't said what kind of shark you have. It doesn't matter that it may be 2'. If you have bala's for example they need at least a 125 gallon 6t tank. They grow fast and are very active and would need to be re-homed.

So the ammonia is .113ppm? What are you using to test the water?

You're going through the nitrogen cycle, your fish are dying from ammonia poisoning. Ammonia must always be at 0. Do 60-70% water changes until that ammonia gets down and continue to maintain large water changes until you're cycled.

As for the fish you added too many too fast. You still haven't said what kind of shark you have. It doesn't matter that it may be 2'. If you have bala's for example they need at least a 125 gallon 6t tank. They grow fast and are very active and would need to be re-homed.

Ammonia has differing amounts of toxicity at differing pH levels. A .1ppm ammonia level is completely safe. Take a look at this chart.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html

The fish were added at good intervals (Wish I had enough self control to add fish that slowly) but they were added to an uncycled tank which is why you are having problems.

At the very least I would start with a 50% water change and recheck your levels after an hour to see if things are still peachy.

So the ammonia is .113ppm? What are you using to test the water?

Ammonia has differing amounts of toxicity at differing pH levels. A .1ppm ammonia level is completely safe. Take a look at this chart.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html

The fish were added at good intervals (Wish I had enough self control to add fish that slowly) but they were added to an uncycled tank which is why you are having problems.

At the very least I would start with a 50% water change and recheck your levels after an hour to see if things are still peachy.

I am using an API liquid test kit the color of the water was inbetween 0 and .25 so I guessed it at that

Irredeciant sharks sorry I am sure I spelled that wrong max size is 8"

Irredeciant sharks sorry I am sure I spelled that wrong max size is 8"

Wow just googled the shark the pet store lied to me they can get huge but will probably get stunted in my tank. The website I looked at said they need a 1000 gallon tank who besides sea world has one of those.

I am not sure i'm surprised they sold them others MUST have them if the store sells them. But that is why you ALWAYS do your own research and don't ask the fish store employees. There in it for the money. We're all here because we love fish and want to help others.

If you REALLY want a shark the smallest tank size would be 50 gallons which can house Red Tailed Sharks and (correct me if I'm wrong) Rainbow Sharks?

Back
Top Bottom