3 gal picotope (build thread!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You better! Hope they do well! Gonna frag some green and purple ricordeas from my 37g and put them in the 3g, also getting some green alien eye zoas this weekend and should be ordering some frozen frog eye, monster mash, and shiznits from zoanthid.com soon enough!

Have you seen the voodoo palys they have? Man, those would be awesome to have! Also the pegasus palys would be a wonder!

Cool site! I've never found a site just for zoas and palys lol. I've never seen such exotic zoas or palys, and I can't believe the voodoos either!

Btw, I just found a few red feather duster hitchhikers :)
It's hard to get pics of them with my (bad) camera, but here's one. It's the red thing in the very center, and is very tiny. There are others, but those are harder to get pics of. The thing you see in the pic to the right is my kenya tree :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392334861.253748.jpg

Cool site! I've never found a site just for zoas and palys lol. I've never seen such exotic zoas or palys, and I can't believe the voodoos either!

Btw, I just found a few red feather duster hitchhikers :)
It's hard to get pics of them with my (bad) camera, but here's one. It's the red thing in the very center, and is very tiny. There are others, but those are harder to get pics of. The thing you see in the pic to the right is my kenya tree :)

Looking good, i bought a massive kenya tree, 6" tall, my starry blenny ate it in 1 night lol.

Its $50 for shipping on zoanthid.com, to much for me! (plus the zoas are about 5 bucks a head!)

I saw happy coral online, any good? It sure is cheap! The WYSIWYG today was amazing! Its 2 heads of God of War for $15! Man would i love that! Cant order it at the moment though, its 20° F here :( maybe another time... All my 3g has is 30 heads of vietnam and some orange stripped glove polyps. Time to get somthing else!

Can't wait to take pics, so here are some! (most of the frags are still mostly closed). Btw, I still haven't decided what to do with all the ugly frag plugs. Maybe I should just wait for them to be overgrown? What do you guys think?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392335027.618926.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392335083.918111.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392335139.008596.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392335227.784921.jpg

Can't wait to take pics, so here are some! (most of the frags are still mostly closed). Btw, I still haven't decided what to do with all the ugly frag plugs. Maybe I should just wait for them to be overgrown? What do you guys think?

Looks cool, any pics of the mimosas and toucans? Let them settle for about 2 weeks and then go along the bottom of the plug with a rasor blade to cut them off, the get some aquarium safe super glue, put a dab on the foot of the coral (do this out of water!!!) and then stick it on a rock.

Looking good, i bought a massive kenya tree, 6" tall, my starry blenny ate it in 1 night lol.

Its $50 for shipping on zoanthid.com, to much for me! (plus the zoas are about 5 bucks a head!)

I saw happy coral online, any good? It sure is cheap! The WYSIWYG today was amazing! Its 2 heads of God of War for $15! Man would i love that! Cant order it at the moment though, its 20° F here :( maybe another time... All my 3g has is 30 heads of vietnam and some orange stripped glove polyps. Time to get somthing else!

Happy coral is great! The box arrived with 3 heat packs, 2" thick insulating pink foam, a double sealed cardboard box, and six individual double coral bags. The temp inside was ~74, and it's 10 degrees here! Their shipping is $30, but mine was only 20 because I'm in Illinois. I totally recommend them :) they helped me figure out when it should be shipped and clarified on shipping. Only downside is that they don't usually have too much selection (I wish they had ricordea and cheap mushrooms.)

Happy coral is great! The box arrived with 3 heat packs, 2" thick insulating pink foam, a double sealed cardboard box, and six individual double coral bags. The temp inside was ~74, and it's 10 degrees here! Their shipping is $30, but mine was only 20 because I'm in Illinois. I totally recommend them :) they helped me figure out when it should be shipped and clarified on shipping. Only downside is that they don't usually have too much selection (I wish they had ricordea and cheap mushrooms.)

Lol, they say i have to buy atleast $50 worth of stuff or my shipping is $45! A little sketchy in my eyes...

The other zoas are still closed up... They just look grey :(

One of them also looks pretty bad. Is this ok? I can't even tell where the polyps are:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392336284.636362.jpg

Here are the mimosas: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392336335.270522.jpg

The other zoas are still closed up... They just look grey :(

One of them also looks pretty bad. Is this ok? I can't even tell where the polyps are:

Here are the mimosas:

Im sure they will pop up somtime! No need to worry, ive had zoas look like that at first but turn out great in a few days.

The Kenya tree perked up :)

Here's a full tank pic I took this morning, and I'll take more pics tonight

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392415534.179618.jpg

I would totally take it, great deal! If you have some nerites and a good photoperiod the gha should disappear quickly, that's what my algae is doing now :). I saw one of my nerites munching his way through the algae a few days ago, he took out a good patch!

Anyway, I think that's a great deal. Would they go into your 3g?

I would totally take it, great deal! If you have some nerites and a good photoperiod the gha should disappear quickly, that's what my algae is doing now :). I saw one of my nerites munching his way through the algae a few days ago, he took out a good patch!

Anyway, I think that's a great deal. Would they go into your 3g?

Yeah, they will. I am gonna dip them with prazi first to make no flat worms (that tanks infested!) hitch hike on. Also gonna get 4 more nerites. Ive only got 2 at the moment. How many do you have?

Yeah, they will. I am gonna dip them with prazi first to make no flat worms (that tanks infested!) hitch hike on. Also gonna get 4 more nerites. Ive only got 2 at the moment. How many do you have?

I currently have 2 nerites, and will probably add more soon. Right now I'm planning on another peppermint shrimp too, now that I'm dosing iodine.

My iodine was low (it was at nearly 0 when my LFS tested it 2 weeks ago), which I learned probably killed the shrimp after molting. The other factor in my poor shrimp's death was probably nitrate (which is now completely under control.)

Another thing I learned that may or may not be true is that iodine is a good supplement for soft corals (it seems like it was used up pretty quick too.)

Side question: what would anyone recommend as far as coral glue? I found some good suggestions like loctite gel, superglue, and aquarium epoxy, but I'm looking for things that might be available from somewhere like Home Depot or something (the cheaper and quicker the better, without being unsafe)

I'm hoping to remove my zoas and toadstool from their frag plugs in ~2 weeks, and I don't know what kind of glue I'm going to use yet.

Back
Top Bottom