3 Gallon - Betta and ADF.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Albiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone!

I currently have an empty cycled 3 gallon acrylic tank. I'm thinking of getting a betta and an african dwarf frog, under the promise from my LFS that if it doesn't work out I can swap the betta for a second ADF.
I'm planning on adding the frog first and adding the betta after a week or so, to stop the betta from seeing his froggy tankmate as a 'territory invader' and more of part of his home.
Do you think my tank would be overstocked? I have a Hagen Elite Stingray 10 that is recommended for up to 12 gallons, so filtration is not an issue.

Thanks, Dan : )

I do think your tank would be overstocked. I'll be the first to admit that I have next to no knowledge of aquatic frogs, but a 3 gallon tank is pretty much bare minimum for just one betta IMO.

I haven't seen you post before so also wanted to say welcome! :)

Thankyou severum mama!
I was thinkng the same thing. Reason I asked is because I found a site that said 1 and a 1/2 gallon is all that both of them need, so 3 gallons would be perfect.

If i could only have one or the other, I would get the ADF. Does anyone have any other tankmate suggestions for an African Dwarf Frog in a 3 gallon?

There was a thread recently about ADFs, they said 3 gallons was the minimum for an ADF. I wouldn't recommend tank mates at that size tank.

You could add some shrimp or snails... but not sure how long they would last. The ADF would eat them I would think... especially FW shrimp. They make tasty snacks for any omnivores or carnivores that can get to them.

I've rethought my stocking and am thinking of a low-medium planted shrimp tank! :D
I definitely want Red Cherry Shrimp, but don't know which other shrimp or plants to keep as well(?)
Help please?!
Reminder of tank stats:

3 gallon,
Stingray 10 filter,
No heater, but water is ALWAYS between 20-22°C,
No lighting,
Secure cover,
White gravel.

That is a great idea! I have a couple of small tanks with shrimp in them... they are great.

There are several species of neocaridina that come in multiple colors. RCS are one of them.

Other neocaridina species: blackberry, blue pearl, yellow, bumblebee, and many others. The thing here is neocaridina species will interbreed, so you really only 1 to choose 1. If RCS is the choice, then don't mix them with others of the same species. Otherwise you end up with a tank full of very poorly colored shrimp (which is what they look like in the wild... the colors come from years of selective breeding).

You can mix some other varieties in with them though:
Amano shrimp (great algae eaters; much larger than neocaridina; will not breed in the tank however; can be expensive)

Crystal Red shrimp (very sensitive, but coolest (imo) looking shrimp; very expensive (up to $25-50 per shrimp!); require very good water parameters, not good for the beginner)

Crystal Black Shrimp or Bee Shrimp (same as crystal reds, but black)

Ghost Shrimp (widely available, cheap)

golden bee shrimp

tiger shrimp

...and there are several more. My opinion on it is to stick with just one variety that you like, and get a colony established. The neocaridina and caridina species will readily breed if the water conditions are decent.

Here is a pic of my latest tank with CRS in it, for ideas:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/5-gal-ada-cube-garden-2-journal-138067-7.html#post1222605

thankyou very muchly!
your tank looks lovely : )
i'm thinking, rcs and ghosties. how many of each would you recommed?
would fake plants be okay for the shrimp to hide in, cos i could just buy some more of those instead?

fake plans will be ok (though it is HARD for me to say that ;) ). They do like to have lots of cover though, and like to have things to hang on to, so it would be better if you could find a lighting solution (even a desk lamp tilted over the top of the tank may work) and grow some java moss for them to live in/around.

I would recommend about 10 rcs to start in your sized tank, and if you must have the ghost shrimp, another 5 or so of them will be fine. If you keep the water parameters good through regular partial water changes, your rcs will breed within a few months and you will have a renewing colony.

Brilliant thankyou!
the tank i have is a cheap wilkinsons home brand acrylic one ( ;) ) so the lid cannot get a light installed into it! :'(
i will purchase a desk lamp and give the java moss a go.
how do i grow the java moss? i will probably get a third small fake plant and some java moss:)
i think i will go for the 10 rcs and 5 ghosties, because i want a variation with the shrimp, not just 1 type. selfish and picky i know but hey.. ;)

thanks, Dan :)

again, thank you so much! you've helped me so much! :D
just two more questions...
1) which is the better option, compact flourescent or LED?
2) what is the recommended wattage for the bulb for java moss?

THANK YOU! :D

Personally, on your small tank, I would recommend a compact florescent bulb... somewhere around 10-15W would be adequate to grow java moss but not require additional upkeep, like CO2 injection and fertilization.

...and you are very welcome!

thank you fort! written that down.. ;)
i am correct in thinking that i tie the java moss to a rock until the roots attach, then remove the string and let it get on with it, right?

Dan :)

....also a timer for the light would be good. You don't want it left on for more than 8-10 hours at a time or it can cause algae issues. The more stable the photoperiod, the better. The light will be really good too for viewing your shrimp. They would be tough to see without a light over the tank.

thank you fort! written that down.. ;)
i am correct in thinking that i tie the java moss to a rock until the roots attach, then remove the string and let it get on with it, right?

Dan :)

Yup, you are right on... except you probably won't have to worry about removing the string. Just use thread, and you will never see it once the java moss grows a bit.

One last thing too: Check aquabid.com and ebay for RCS... usually LFS charge WAY too much for them. A pkg of 10 may be hard to come by, but even if you end up with 15 or 20, they will be fine, even in a 4 gal tank. I bet I have 100 in my 5 gal.

Back
Top Bottom