3 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
My daughter (age 7, and fairly responsible for her age) has been BEGGING for a betta tank in her room. We have a 55gallon and a 20 gallon long in the living and dinning room that she "helps" me with, but she wants a tank IN her room. Well my husband happened upon a great deal today. A brand new 3 gallon tetra cube for $10, so of course he bought it........... Anyway, I know you can't put a whole lot of fish in a 3 gallon, and it doesn't have a heater (although I have a small spare somewhere I can dig up).

She knows she wants a betta, but she also wants either a banjo catfish or a small pleco. What do you all think? Would adding one of those overstock the tank? Should I just stand my ground and only allow a snail buddy for the betta?

Just the betta and snail. Even a smaller pleco needs a much larger tank. She can make it interesting with different plants too.

My 4 year old daughter has anxiety issues, and we actually have a 3G betta tank in her room.
In her words, "if I pull the cords, Odin Fishy will die and I will be sad."

Make sure the filter flow isn't too strong in a tank that small.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It came with a tiny little whisper 3i filter which is air controlled. It isn't adjustable, but if the current seems to strong I'll try putting an air control valve on the line.

That's the same filter I have on her betta tank! Great little filter. I just made sure to get a check valve for it, since it didn't come with one.

Shrimp?? With a betta? I figured the betta would go after them. I think my daughter would like the idea of a shrimp, but honestly I know very little about them.

Just the betta and snail. Even a smaller pleco needs a much larger tank. She can make it interesting with different plants too.

My 4 year old daughter has anxiety issues, and we actually have a 3G betta tank in her room.
In her words, "if I pull the cords, Odin Fishy will die and I will be sad."

Make sure the filter flow isn't too strong in a tank that small.

Here's a great tip I got that works really well with my daughter feeding the fish. I picked up one of those 99cent 7 day medicine organizers, and every Sunday I refill it. She knows the fish can only have the amount of food allotted for that day. I don't care if she gives them one piece at a time or dumps the whole day worth in all at once, but it's all they get. It has definitely helped to stop over feeding.

You could do cherry shrimp but the betta may could get them but probably not your daughter may get very upset to know that her fish ate her shrimp but you could try it

Back
Top Bottom