3 Metal halides on 8 foot tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish-guy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found a good deal on 3 150 watt metal halide pendants. I'm just growing some soft corals. The tank is 8 feet long. Is 3 enough or would I need 4?

sure if you just want softies then that will work, but personally i think you're limiting yourself to only those,when in the future you might want to house more then just leathers and low lights

Last edited:
Actually I have 2 coralife lunar t5 fixtures right now. 4 bulbs 48 inch ea. Just thought metal halides where stronger. Or at least brighter.

I think 3 is enough with for a 6ft tank, but not enough for an 8ft tank. But honestly, I think you can strategically place your corals around the 3 halides.

Are the halides going to be complimented with other lights like T5's, or is that all the light you plan to have? Because for me, I like to have light along the entire length of the tank.

i would stick with the 4 bulb t5's. you definitely need 4 halides for an 8 foot tank, and like leo said, the 4 lamp fixture most likely puts out more light.

How about 250 watt halides? Just don't feel that the t5 are bright enough. The corals on the bottom of the tank aren't doing super well.

what corals do you have at the bottom of the tank? what kind of flow do you have there?
how deep is the tank top to bottom?

Some Kenya, polyps and mushrooms. The tank is 25 inch deep. Was thinking too, maybe I can remove the 2 blue t5 in ea fixture and replace it with Hagen powerglo bulbs. That way I have 8 bright bulbs. The actinics are kinda bland

thats why not many people use actinic anymore, the PAR numbers on them are not very high.

i woudl suggest tryign to find ATI bulbs i would go with 1 day light 1 purple and 2 blue plus. with each bulb you're looking at 320+ PAR per lamp rather then 200 that actinics put out

a 25" deep tank needs more than 150 watt halides, and 4 lamp t5's imo. i would use at least 6 t5 lamps per 3 feet, but preferably 8.
and yes, 250 watt halides would be a good idea here, but 4 of them.

I found a good deal on 2 48 inch metal halide fixtures for my 8 foot tank. 250 watt double ended 15000k bulbs. I know lots of people said I am ok with my t5s but nothing beats the look of halides. And i want some hard Corals. Plus my 25 inch tank is pretty deep and I think the t5 bulbs just aren't strong enough to reach the bottom with the same strength. They should be available for me in about a week. Il post some pics to compare with the current setup :D

i have kept sps under t5s in a few different tanks, no problem. you are incorrect that t5s will not reach the bottom.

lol they can light up a tank deeper then a 250 watt metal halide :p a 54 watter hits depths that a 400 watt goes to

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom