3 Mickey Mouse Platies and....???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishSim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, I have 3 Mickey Mouse Platies in a 10 gallon tank. I'd like to add more tank mates but I'm unsure of what to add?

I love the way the Blue Neon Dwarf Gouramis look but I've read they could be quite tempermental even though the fish stores say they are very docile? I have 2 fake plants and a piece of Mopani wood setup in my aquarium.

Other options I'm looking at are cory catfish, african dwarf frog and some ghost shrimp. Not looking to add all of the above, just 1 or 2 species.

Any advice out there would sure be appreciated!

Thanks.

Attachments

• fishies.jpg
    fishies.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 129
Hi there, I have 3 Mickey Mouse Platies in a 10 gallon tank. I'd like to add more tank mates but I'm unsure of what to add?

I love the way the Blue Neon Dwarf Gouramis look but I've read they could be quite tempermental even though the fish stores say they are very docile? I have 2 fake plants and a piece of Mopani wood setup in my aquarium.

Other options I'm looking at are cory catfish, african dwarf frog and some ghost shrimp. Not looking to add all of the above, just 1 or 2 species.

Any advice out there would sure be appreciated!

Thanks.

Welcome to AA! :welcome:

Some shrimp would work great as they next to nothing in bio-load (the amount of waste they produce resulting in ammonia). I have three platies in my 10 gallon along with red cherry shrimp and three ember tetras. You could do embers as they only get 1 inch long, and have a fairly low bio-load also, but they do best in schools of 6 or more. 3 is acceptable, but 6 is better, and they will be happier. Just be aware, that platies have a higher bio-load than most fish, so your tank is already pretty stocked. Also, ghost shrimp would work, but they are freaky looking, imo. A sparkling gourami might work, but they can be a bit aggressive. Just do your research, and good luck! (y)

Welcome to AA! :welcome:

Some shrimp would work great as they next to nothing in bio-load (the amount of waste they produce resulting in ammonia). I have three platies in my 10 gallon along with red cherry shrimp and three ember tetras. You could do embers as they only get 1 inch long, and have a fairly low bio-load also, but they do best in schools of 6 or more. 3 is acceptable, but 6 is better, and they will be happier. Just be aware, that platies have a higher bio-load than most fish, so your tank is already pretty stocked. Also, ghost shrimp would work, but they are freaky looking, imo. A sparkling gourami might work, but they can be a bit aggressive. Just do your research, and good luck! (y)

Thanks for the welcome! I just visited a LFS and the only shrimp they had were cherries but she told me the platies might eat them. They did look pretty small though. So your platies aren't bothering the shrimp? What size are your shrimp? Do they need live plants the shrimp or will plastic ones do? Of course ghost shrimp are "freaky looking" they're "ghosts"!!! :D

I may try the dwarf gourami.

Thanks for the welcome! I just visited a LFS and the only shrimp they had were cherries but she told me the platies might eat them. They did look pretty small though. So your platies aren't bothering the shrimp? What size are your shrimp? Do they need live plants the shrimp or will plastic ones do? Of course ghost shrimp are "freaky looking" they're "ghosts"!!! :D

I may try the dwarf gourami.

I've never noticed my shrimp even interact with my platies! :lol: (and my platies can't even eat 1 mm pellets I fed them. I have to use 0.5 mm). All fish will appreciate live plants, but usually they don't NEED them. My shrimp seem to like to hang out on my plants, though.

I have 2 platies and 4 ghost shrimps in my 10 gallon tank. They get along just fine. I also have plastic plants throughout the tank that the shrimps will climb on occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom