3 yrs, lots of money, sweat, tears...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcarlilesiu

Aquarium Advice Addict
and a tank that I am proud to show off. All of your help over the years is greatly appreciated.

As typical in this hobby, there are lots of things I would like to work on, develop, and expand on; and I could use all your keen eyes. All advice, suggestions, and opinions welcome.

Attachments

• 100_0008.jpg
    100_0008.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_0011.jpg
    100_0011.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 100_0009.jpg
    100_0009.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 82
While I think it looks great the way that it is... how about some foreground plants like HC or Lilaeopsis brasiliensis in the front left?

That driftwood looks amazing.

I think a different substrate forming a "river" under the driftwood could look very cool... either coarser rock, or a diff color, something along those lines.

But, it really does look great... most people, myself included, are just happy to get the plants to grow; what you have really is an aquascape. It is getting very close to reminding me of 1 of those amazing pictures you see of the contest winners' tanks. BTW, what is the stem plant in the back right?

Thanks fort...

Funny that you say something about a ground cover. This weekend, me and my fiance planted the new madagascar lace in the front left corner. Needs some time to fill out, but we were considering a small ground cover like baby tears from there to the right until it hits the dwarf saf infront of the tiger lotus.

That is going to happen soon.

The plant in the back right is a completely out of control (needs a hair cut) water sprite.

FWIW, its really easy to imagine how it will look once the swords grow taller shading the sides and making the driftwood arch even cooler, the moss fills in, and if you keep snip the Nymphea/Lotus leaves as they shoot the surface, it creeping more daughter plants to the left center (into the light). I think it is a very nice long term layout that appears to have the goal of lower maintenance?

CZCZ.

That is the plan for the most part. I do want the focal point to be the driftwood obviously. The moss does need to grow in more, but I would also like the java to turn a little more green than it is. Since it has went under medium-high light, it has really darkened in color. The tips where the plant is growing is very green, but turns dark green in no time. I put the amazons in the mid-ground due to the height of the tank. I do want them to grow in slightly, but I will keep them trimmed to allow for a stepped progression to my background watersprite and vals. The tiger lotus is putting out tons of baby plants, which should fill into the left a little. I want to try my hand at a small ground cover like baby tears in the front left corner of the tank infront of the madagascar lace.

As far as being "low maintanence"... I sure hope so. I just increased the lights to nearly 4 WPG due to the penetration factor of the lights and the desire to have the dwarf sag and ground cover not only survive, but fill in. I have found myself very busy lately and have attempted to find plants that are somewhat undemanding and will do fine with a weekly haircut.

Zags... I would LOVE a black background both to pop the colors of the plants and the fish. Problem is... how? I dont like the idea of an oiled garbage bag, and I am afraid to paint it. Any ideas?

it might look awsome if you could get a plant to grow around the driftwood?
And how do you keep it down mine keeps trying to float so I set a partiularily large rock on it but it looks horrible...:(

fishfreak, you have to boil it and soak it. Sometimes it can take several weeks to get it to sink, depending on if it was completely dry when you got it.

it might look awsome if you could get a plant to grow around the driftwood?
And how do you keep it down mine keeps trying to float so I set a partiularily large rock on it but it looks horrible...:(

The driftwood was somewhat more boyant the first year I had it. I have lots of gravel around the base of it and some heavy rocks leaned up against it holding it in place. Now.. after several years, it is heavier and sinks.

As requested, picture taken after water change, trimming, and cleaning

img_950632_0_1f1a883c975ce1b1d24d28a44a687a09.jpg

Back
Top Bottom