30 gal octagonal tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carpediem

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there,
It's been a while, but I am back now. I just got a 30 gal octagonal tank given to me. I love it. Do you have any suggestions on how to set it up. I am a bit limited with funds right now. All I have basically is the tank and the platform for the undergravel filter. I am not quite sure what type and size filter system, heater, .... I would need. I would also need a lid with lights for it too.
As for longterm planning (after I do the dead shrimp which worked marvelously for me last time) I was thinking of guppies, platies, corys.
It is quite tall. So I do not want to end up with a group of fish at the top of the tank, a bare middle and the bottom feeders. Any ideas?

Scratch the undergravel filter, and go with an HOB (atleast 220 GPH). 200 watt heater will be sufficient.

Otherwise, if funds are limited, do some research for good deals online, or in your local newspaper/classified for people looking to get rid of equipment.

Your fish selection sounds good. Platies, guppies are good middle dwelling fish. Perhaps a gourami as a nice centerpiece fish would be nice as well.

Back
Top Bottom