30 Gal Tank For the Master bedroom- Stocking??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquamami8326

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, I just picked up an old 30 gallon tank (30"x18"x12"), and am planning to set it up in our master bedroom once I've sterilized and cleaned everything up. Only problem is, I don't know what to put in there :s I don't really want anything too busy, and would like to stay away from a cookie cutter cfreshwater community tank.. I was thinking maybe a couple fancy goldfish, maybe an oscar. Long story short I'd prefer one or two larger centerpiece fish or soul inhabitants. However I am open to any ideas you guys are willing to share
PS - I plan on doing a full cycling first, no fish. My tank will be empty for quite a while so I have tons of time to plan :)
Thanks Guys!

You could do two goldfish in there.

I also wanted to recommend you get a canister filter for a bedroom tank, unless you like the sound of waterfalls lulling you to sleep. ;)

That's what my initial plan was. I've just noticed that all over my province, whenever I find goldfish they are extremely sick and poor doing. I've bought 2 orandas with chronic swim bladder problems (I assume, I tried every treatment known to google before they passed), a black moor with fin rot and that white fluffy fungus who's name escapes me, and a lion head that died after 5 days for unknown reasons. I still have 1 black moor that I'm treating for a stubborn fungus, and 2 orandas that are battling fin rot and have just lost all of their ick spots.
However, when I look at other fish in the same store, I don't see any disease on any other kinds of fish.

I actually don't mind the sounds of my filters and waterfalls lol, and have never tried a canister filter.. Currently I have a 20 gallon split betta tank with two filters running in our room :)

A 30g is a good size for two goldfish. Oscars require a 75g tank so that's a no go.
Have you considered ordering fish online? PM jlk. She knows some good goldfish breeders.

Yep, I've figured that out since I posted. I had only ever seen oscars in 29 gal bowfronts or hexagon tanks, and then those horribly small tanks they keep them in at a pet store. Comparing this to the treatment of Betta fish.. I now see I was off my rocker thinking an oscar would be happy in a 30 gal lol. Just cause fish in small tanks are alive doesn't mean they are happy.

Do any of you have any suggestions for Cichlids in a 30 gal? I was thinking maybe a pair of Convicts (I've read that a mating pair would be good for a 30) Or something similar.

Thank you for the suggestion on the Goldfish! They will always be my favorite and it really sucks having to see such unhappy diseased stock in the stores. Almost as if Goldfish are just too original and boring to care about.

I agree about the goldfish. So misunderstood!
I don't know a huge amount about convicts but I'm fairly sure a pair will be fine in a 30g :) Be warned though they will have many, MANY fry. Make sure you have some where to take, sell, rehome them too.

Back
Top Bottom