30 gal trouble.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crew

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've posted about this before but it's been quite awhile.
Basically I have. 29gallon freshwater tank, but it seems our well water may be inadequate.
Apart from a 8.4ish ph level, the water has a yellowish tinge to it. Many visible particles in the water.
I drained the water leaving enough to submerge my moss ball. It seems to be alright with whatever.
My primary concern is how to deal with whats in our well water.
I heard I could add activated carbon to it.
But how and where?
Just some of the questions.
Also I need to cycle it again.
If it can't be fixed then I need an alternative to our water. My LFS sells "fish ready water" but it's 10$ for 2gallons. Last resort.
Please help? :D

Activated carbon usually goes in your filter. What sort do you have?

It can be bought in powdered form which you can put in a bag which then goes in the filter or in sponge shaped blocks.

It's effective in removing some chemical elements from your water and it's well worth giving it a go.

enid_b said:
Activated carbon usually goes in your filter. What sort do you have?

It can be bought in powdered form which you can put in a bag which then goes in the filter or in sponge shaped blocks.

It's effective in removing some chemical elements from your water and it's well worth giving it a go.

As of now, nothing. I'm much further from my LFS than I was. But hopefully this week I'll be getting some.
The powdered form In the bag.. I'm guessing it's a very porous bag?
Looking for my options. I've only heard of the granules.

Ok the best and cheapest way for u because u will go threw a lot if carbon is to go to a hobby or fabric store and get poly-fil u can get a big bag for $5 and every week or two take a hand full and put it in ur filter u will see a huge change in water quality it takes out all those small partials...to lower ur ph u want to do it naturally with a buffer put it sea shells (I think it is for lowering ph) someone will correct if I'm wrong lol

xfactor6699 said:
Ok the best and cheapest way for u because u will go threw a lot if carbon is to go to a hobby or fabric store and get poly-fil u can get a big bag for $5 and every week or two take a hand full and put it in ur filter u will see a huge change in water quality it takes out all those small partials...to lower ur ph u want to do it naturally with a buffer put it sea shells (I think it is for lowering ph) someone will correct if I'm wrong lol

I just take a handful of the granules nd put them in my filter?
And yeah I definitely want to go with a natural ph buffer if I can.

Crew said:
I just take a handful of the granules nd put them in my filter?
And yeah I definitely want to go with a natural ph buffer if I can.

Poly-fil is the stuff they put in quilts and all u do is take a hand full and put it straight into the filter it will take out anything floating in the water and make it very clear....the only time u should use carbon is to take out chemicals

xfactor6699 said:
Poly-fil is the stuff they put in quilts and all u do is take a hand full and put it straight into the filter it will take out anything floating in the water and make it very clear....the only time u should use carbon is to take out chemicals

Alright great thank you.
And yes I've heard that before, I'll see what I can do about getting this all started again :)
Thanks!

Oh geez totally forgot.
I had two airstones in my tank.
Yet after a couple of weeks the tubes that were in the tank had been covered in brown filth and crystalline particles. Took those out pronto, what gives?

Aquadestroyer said:
Sea shells only raise Ph levels or maintain high ones not lower them

I dont have any sea shells. I'd like a buffer to maybe lower it down to at least 8.
And then there's the airstone tube issue...
Heading to the store on Wednesday, would like to know what I should be looking at.

Aquadestroyer said:
Sea shells only raise Ph levels or maintain high ones not lower them

I always get that confused its peat moss that lowers lol thx I knew someone would correct me if I was wrong

Ooh.. I'll definitely look into that.
Thanks!
That's 2/3 now... :)
Anybody know anything about my airstone tubes and what could have caused that?

Crew said:
Ooh.. I'll definitely look into that.
Thanks!
That's 2/3 now... :)
Anybody know anything about my airstone tubes and what could have caused that?

It sounds like it may have been diatoms that happens in new tanks

xfactor6699 said:
It sounds like it may have been diatoms that happens in new tanks

Diatoms eh?
So you think if I did the same thing again it wouldn't happen? Or is there something I should do about it.

They go away on there own once the tank sets up just wash it off if u see it again eventually they will just stop coming back

xfactor6699 said:
They go away on there own once the tank sets up just wash it off if u see it again eventually they will just stop coming back

Haha it was a time when I was frastrated with my tank. I raged and threw out the affected areas. No worries, I'll be getting more.
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom