30 Gallon stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my goodness no. One inch per gallon is a horrible way to stock a tank. There are Way too many factors like compatibility, swimming level/space, aggression, schools, gender ratios, etc. For starters kissers can reach 12 inches long but do not belong in a 30g tank long term.

Ok, here is the way I look at it and the way I was taught, never go by the inch by gallon method due to the fact that tanks are higher then others. You can have a 20 long tank or a 20 tall tank, same number of gallons but they will hold different amounts of fish. You have to to look at the surface area of the tank, that is where the water gets its oxygen supply from and that is one of the main limitations for stocking fish. I was always told that if you follow the 1 inch (adult size) per every 12 square inches of water surface, you should be fine. Some people may argue with me on this, but I find it's the best way to go.

Neon Tetras yes
Hi Fin black tetras yes
Red Eye tetras yes
Mixed Fruit Tetras (Don't really want to get those as they're dyed) don't
Glo-Fish (Aren't those painted?) no genetically modified.
Male Fancy Guppies yes
Platys yes
Tiger Barbs yes
Pink Kissing Gourami no
Blue Gourami yes
Giant Danio yes
Zebra Danio yes
Catfish (not sure on the type, but grow to 6" and live in groups of at least 3) maybe depends what kind
Bala Shark big no
Mollies yes
Balloon Mollies yuck!
African Cichlids no
Fantail Goldfish yes
Fancy Goldfish yes
Shubunkin no
Male/Female Beta maybe
Mystery Snail yes
Plecostomus (tag doesn't state a type; they grow to 20", though) common no, bristle nose yes

Not all these are compatible with each other but I labeled what is suitable for your tank.

Ok...do you have any suggestions on combinations?

Also, I read that while pink kissing gouramis can grow to 12" they normally only get that long in the wild, and in captivity, they only get to about half that. Don't know if that's right, but it sounds reasonable.

bud29 said:
Ok...do you have any suggestions on combinations?

Also, I read that while pink kissing gouramis can grow to 12" they normally only get that long in the wild, and in captivity, they only get to about half that. Don't know if that's right, but it sounds reasonable.
I would still avoid them for a community set up. There are other gouramis more suitable like opaline, gold and three spot (all the same but different colors) or dwarfs or honeys. I would recommend only one gourami per tank. They don't really like their own kind. You could then have a school or two of tetras or danios. They need to be in groups of 6 or more of their own kind. You could have a few live bearers. But how many depends what kind. Then some bottom dwelling fish such as a group of cories or small loaches such as kuhlis or a bristlenose pleco. There are many many different combinations but you just have to make sure everyone's going to get along and your not going to overload your bio filter.

pocket22 said:
Pink I would say

Mumma of two Is right. A kissing in that tank they need 75 minimum!!! Maybe one DG. Don't listen to the " one inch per gallon" rule as mumma said there's more factors to think about.

Yeah, momma u are! Forgot to think about that. Just get some endless or something instead. DO NOT get neons or cardinals, they are Soo sensitive.

If it was me, I would do like 8 skirt tetras, 8 zebra danios, 1 dwarf gourami (or a different species smaller than a kissing gourami) and 1 bristlenose pleco.
The inch per gallon rule is really more of a guideline, not a hard rule. It is very flawed and really isn't used by experienced aquarists at all. Luckily, you have all of us here to guide you, so pretend like you never heard that "rule."
To maximize your stocking potential, you need to have fish in all levels of the tank. Some fish (like zebra danios) swim at the top of the tank while neons swim mostly in the lower portion of the tank.

Hehehe......mumof2, looking at your list of fish that would work in my tank, I remembered something a fish salesman said and now appears to be absolutely wrong.

I was looking at the platys, and I said to myself "hmm...so they're a schooling fish, so...." then the salesman said, "Yeah, and actually you can make a school out of different types of fish, just make sure you're matching aggressive with aggressive, calm with calm, you know. So you could probably mix 1 platy, 1 mixed fruit tetra, 1 tiger barb, 1 bala shark, and 1 zebra danio to get a school."

Your list coupled with research on those types of fish makes that statement look like it's about as good as making a school of 4 piranhas and a neon tetra.

That wouldn't work , any fish of different species don't school together ! Some people. He's trying to make money off you. Don't take that advice stick to a school of one species. Don't listen to him. I meant like I brought six platies and they don't school . Hope I helped. Just don't want them to trick you. :)

Good, I really dislike the one inch per gallon thing.

AbsoluteAngel, what other fish would get along with zebra danios and neons? I'm intrigued by this plan...........

samzter, i probably shouldn't pay any attention to the tags then either because on the platys tag it said "schooling fish."

Shows what they know.

Good, I really dislike the one inch per gallon thing.

AbsoluteAngel, what other fish would get along with zebra danios and neons? I'm intrigued by this plan...........
Neons, red eyes, or pretty much any of the peaceful tetra species. If your stores have cories, you should look at them too. Very peaceful and fun to watch.
Some other fun, common tetras are pristella tetras (also called xray tetras), bleeding heart tetras, and lemon tetras.
Personally, I am a fan of the high fin skirt tetras. I had a school of white ones and they were absolutely beautiful when full grown.

hmmm....so what would be a good combo of hi fin skirt tetras, red eye teras, zebra danios, and neons? Like, how many of each fish could I get without overcrowding? Also, couldn't a couple platys get along with tetras and zebra danios?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions, it's just I'm new to stocking a tank and I really am clueless as to what would work and what wouldn't.

It's all good. We all have to start somewhere. :)
Personally, I think 2 decent schools plus bottom feeders and a centerpiece fish would be the best use of the tank space. Bigger schools are much more impressive than random single fish swimming haphazardly about.
I would start with about 8 of each in a school. Later on, if you see the water parameters are good and the fish all are doing well, you can always consider adding a few more. Remember, it's easier to add a fish then to have to find a new home for a fish, so it's best to start small and work up from there. :)
Yep, platies would be fine in there. You could get a trio of them (1 male and 2 females) and then you can watch them flirt and breed.You could have the platies in addition to the 2 schools.
If the tag on the pleco just says, "pleco" you can rest assured it is a common pleco that gets too big for your tank.
Is ordering online an option for you?

Back
Top Bottom