30 Gallon Tank/ Enthusiastic Newbie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Minnehaha

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! Recently I have started my first tank, A tall 30 gallon tank with a dual filter (was gift from boss so I'm unsure of brand) and a single light. Ive had it running for a few weeks and have recently started adding a few species. I have some experience caring for freshwater aquariums from my teenage years with my father, but this is a first for me. I started with an angelfish, a glue gourami, 2 dwarf gouramis, a small pleco, and a clown loach. All were recommended by a friend who has a experience with tanks. Id like to get some danios also.

Id like to hear of some good things to invest in now that will help in the long run. I know I must invest in a UV light, especially because I want freshwater live plants. Also id like to get a filter I'm more familiar with, and more specified to my tank. Any and all advice is welcome!

Welcome !

You don't need a UV light. But a full Spectrum plant friendly light is good. With taller tanks, they are trickier to light, but it's not too bad.

Look at LED lights designed for planted tanks. Fluval planted Plus 24/7 is one.

Or use Flourescent bulbs. I buy 6,500K because I like the look it gives the tank.

Your stock list is a bit challenging.

3 Gouramis may fight. I'd return the Blue Gourami...they get large and many get aggressive.

The Pleco ? Is it a Common or a Bristlenose ? A BN is ok, needs wood and veggies. A Common, I'd return now. Much too big and messy. They hit 12".

Clown Loach...please read up before you buy. They are Gorgeous fish. But they like groups and need big tanks. They grow slow, but they stunt quickly too.

I'd return it and get a group of Cories once your tank is stable.

Dual filter ?? Can you post a pic ?
I use HOB. Or Canisters.

Keep a close eye on water tests. Buy an API Master test kit as your tank is so new it's still cycling probably.

Keep up on weekly Partial Water Changes (PWCs). I use Prime to condition new water.

What is your substrate ? Gravel ?

Here are some planted pics. Most are older pics

IMG_2007.jpgIMG_3840.jpgIMG_2394.jpgIMG_3704.jpg

"3 Gouramis may fight. I'd return the Blue Gourami...they get large and many get aggressive.

The Pleco ? Is it a Common or a Bristlenose ? A BN is ok, needs wood and veggies. A Common, I'd return now. Much too big and messy. They hit 12".

Clown Loach...please read up before you buy. They are Gorgeous fish. But they like groups and need big tanks. They grow slow, but they stunt quickly too. I'd return it and get a group of Cories once your tank is stable.

Dual filter ?? Can you post a pic ?
I use HOB. Or Canisters.

What is your substrate ? Gravel ?"

That would explain the blue gouramis behavior! I will return.

The pleco is a BN

I will definitely be doing more research on the clown loach, it's a beautiful guy but I want to insure the best care for each species in my tank. If I must return I will.

It is an HOB filter, and I can edit with a picture when I return home. And yes, gravel

Back
Top Bottom