300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is interesting as these are 5 watt LEDs, where most of the standard is 3 watt. I have my Radions scaled down to 60% intensity, as recommended by Ecotech. How/what are you doing with that, are these guys running at full power?

You just use less of them. The power adds up to similar numbers.

The Blues and whites are all 5 watt and able to run at full power. The UV and colored LEDs are different and can handle 750ma. You have to set the maximum output of your driver to limit its current for them.

I currently run the blue channel at 95% and the whites/uv/colored channel at 65%. That looks a bit dark to the eye after the Chinese panels, but the corals are responding to it by showing much better growth.

I might rewire the channels to be blue/uv and white/colored. I'm liking the UV.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Thanksgiving dinner this year was sheets of nori and packets of mysis shrimp. Good enough for the fish....
Actually, the Weber Kettle turkey was delicious.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Thanksgiving dinner this year was sheets of nori and packets of mysis shrimp. Good enough for the fish....
Actually, the Weber Kettle turkey was delicious.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sounds delish Greg! I tried an injected Cajun turkey this Thanksgiving in an oven bag and was actually surprised how moist & tasty it was. It was a risk but glad I took it. Hope you and your fish enjoyed Thanksgiving this year. :)

I've been warning of it for years. Unfortunately I think it's a trend that will increase its effect on our hobby. But I'm like you, as a diver I'm pretty tired of seeing reefs die because of climate change and even our hobby doesn't help in that regard. It just adds to the problem. There is vast money in property developers and those that deny climate change, so there will be few wins with that group. Our hobby is easy to blame as we have no paid politicians or lobbyists in our camp. If we want to stay viable, we better start buying cultivated species. Fish are going to go the same route, so that $20 wild caught mandarin that is probably got at best a 50/50 chance of survival may not be a bargain much longer.

300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

Here is a great little documentary you guys would appreciate regarding polluting soil and the affects of our climate, food, weather & reefs.

Another variable not mentioned in the conversation much that I think should be addresses now.

Hopefully link works, its well worth it!
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...gn=20141004Z1&et_cid=DM56978&et_rid=680287473

Run off kills more coral than we ever have. Only problem is denial. Those that fill their pockets by polluting are very good at redirecting the conversation into partisan arguments. As a engineer, I live by science, not ignorant speculation and lies that I know are only there to protect the earnings of some billionaire.

Run off kills more coral than we ever have. Only problem is denial. Those that fill their pockets by polluting are very good at redirecting the conversation into partisan arguments. As a engineer, I live by science, not ignorant speculation and lies that I know are only there to protect the earnings of some billionaire.

+1 to that. Just look at the Florida Keys. It took almost forever to get those in the know to realize that farms in upper and middle and south Fl were polluting the waters that ran through the everglades that went into the bay which emptied into the Gulf. Algae growth was rampant, urchins dying by the thousands or even millions and who got blamed? The tropical fish industry for over collecting. :banghead::banghead::banghead: It's no longer a matter of coastal development. It's about what goes into the water anywhere, PERIOD!

If it's out of sight under the surface 99% of the people seem to care less. Some even deny its happening. I have been a avid underwater photographer for over 30 years and I can tell you what's destroying the reefs. It isn't us. But we are visible and the real polluters can use us as a dodge.

The sugar farms here are the best environmentalists! :angel:

And the phosphate mines up here are the best!!! :nono: But they are getting better. I can say that for them. (y)
There was a documentary on PBS a number of years ago where a diver dove the FL aquafer from around Ocala area to about Tampa with a tracker above ground tracing the trip so people could see where the aquafer actually traveled. The amount of trash and crap that was found would blow your mind. Tires were found in it presumably by sink holes collapsing and dumping them into it. Even a Mammouth skeleton was found. There is just soooo much stuff going on under foot that we don;t know about. :blink: But as you said, Greg, it's easier to attack what we can see than what is reality. :(

And the phosphate mines up here are the best!!! :nono: But they are getting better. I can say that for them. (y)

There was a documentary on PBS a number of years ago where a diver dove the FL aquafer from around Ocala area to about Tampa with a tracker above ground tracing the trip so people could see where the aquafer actually traveled. The amount of trash and crap that was found would blow your mind. Tires were found in it presumably by sink holes collapsing and dumping them into it. Even a Mammouth skeleton was found. There is just soooo much stuff going on under foot that we don;t know about. :blink: But as you said, Greg, it's easier to attack what we can see than what is reality. :(

The Tampa Bay Area makes almost everything crappy... I mean look at the Bucs.
In all seriousness I live about 45 minutes south of TPA, close to where all the agriculture farms begin.. And when it rains, the water travels all the way down SR 70 to us and it's nasty..
Not to mention the giant waste being thrown in the water with tons of new bridges and the whole new Channelside turning into a Times Square type of thing, kinda crazy.
Everybody likes to blame the first person they see, and it just happens to be us.

Back
Top Bottom