300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It has worked well so far. I agree that dried foods should be used minimally, but there are times when they are too convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yea, you're right they are convenient. There are also those gel type foods like cyclopeeze which I tried a long time ago. The fish absolutely loved it, but I've read some questionable things on some of the gel binders used on some foods such as 'phosphate factories'. My friend who owns a LFS and has a very nice tank believes in that Omega One dry food. It would be neat if they came up with a coated type of dry food that doesn't dissolve in the water column too fast or create any type of dust in the container they are stored in. Maybe im thinking too hard, I dunno. LOL

Ive always used omega one or new life spectrum dry foods when i wasn't feeding frozen, and i agree that dry foods should be used sparingly.

Glad you brought this up greg. Just like most of you I feed basically all frozen foods but have always been curious about the nutritional percentages on the back of frozen and dry foods like % protein and % moisture for example. With the frozen foods it seems like they all say atleast 85% moisture and at best around 10% protein where the dry foods usually are around 40%protein along with others being much higher than in frozen foods. Does this suggest dry foods are more nutritious in general or am I completely misunderstanding these numbers.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, the numbers don't lie. Check out what's in dried dog food. We could lead healthy lives eating just it. And have sparkling teeth.

If the fish ate all if it, and the amount was adjusted for the different nutritional level, for instance it would seem using your numbers that you could feed 1/4th the weight of dried food to frozen. And if the fish ate it all, the load on filtration should be the same or less. But I guess the uneaten food breaks down and leaves more organics than frozen food does.

I wonder if it's like dogs. When they are feed dried foods they "excrete" a smaller amount of "waste" than if you feed them a canned diet. Wonder if that is the same in fish. I know that tangs are pooping machines as their diet is pretty bulky.

Funny thing is my fish love the stuff.

What's up peeps? How's the most unforgiving hobby I know?
Greg, I read that one in two dogs get's cancer- they attribute this to what they are eating. Don't give up hitting the supermarket for dog food. Trust me, genetically modified lab human food is probably much better for you ;)
I am pretty sure the only difference between wet and dry dog food is water. I feed mine(dogs) a home-made mixture of boiled chicken, broccoli, string beans, butternut squash, and chickpeas now, and even though it costs a lot more, I am seeing drastic health differences in both of them. As for the teeth, I give them raw beef bones once a week. ;)
My local reef friends are all getting larger tanks and I'm buying AK47's..lol.

Roger that. We have raised dogs for decades and good food is certainly important. As noted, frozen and even fresh seafood is mostly water. My open question was if there really is a downside to feeding dry food a few times a week.

I am also a gun enthusiast and we have our own gun range on our farm. But I have stopped collecting because the market (and people) have become insane. This is not the place for politics so enough said. Sorry you had to choose one hobby over the other. Buying ammo gets expensive fast.

Possibly just the fear that there is something in the heavily processed food that you don't want. Only the manufacturers know the answer. I used to use flake and pellets here and there. I know the skimmate increased when I did.
I didn't have to choose.....I just got bored. Now with guns, I feel like I did with my first tank. Another cool thing is that I was able to get off of the budget billing offered by the electric company...lol. My consumption is about half of what it was :)

Same thing happened to me with guns. I got into law enforcement sanctioned combat contests and got to where I could win, then it got boring.

Hey Doug , nice to see you back !! Hope Santa buys you a 300 gal tank so we can pester you about it !!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

LOl...thanks Dary. Santa got me my fist entry level Russian made AK actually, so no tank for me. Funny thing happened to a friend of mine though...he bought a beautiful 300 with stand and canopy for 300 bucks! He just bought it because the price was amazing, and he offered it to me for what he payed, to draw me back in. It was tempting... let me tell ya!

LOl...thanks Dary. Santa got me my fist entry level Russian made AK actually, so no tank for me. Funny thing happened to a friend of mine though...he bought a beautiful 300 with stand and canopy for 300 bucks! He just bought it because the price was amazing, and he offered it to me for what he payed, to draw me back in. It was tempting... let me tell ya!

Doug ,..focus on the shinny watch going back and forth , back and forth ,.. Watch the path as it goes back and forth, back and forth ,...you are getting sleepy ,..very very sleepy , your eyes are starting to get heavy ,very heavy ,..at the sound of my voice you will contact your friend and buy the tank ....

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for that Greg. I'll be sure to give that a crack when I get back home to my fish. I wonder if this would be a good way to get tricky fish to eat since the oil would have to give off some sort of scent that would attract other fish

Sent from my ZTE Blade Q Lux using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom