30g Long High Tech Planted Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegosh

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all,

I finally got my first real planted tank up and running. I figured I could use this as a place to show growth rates, new additions, etc. Now for the pictures...

Old set up:
12085-albums125-picture4387.jpg

New Light, sand, and plants:
new%20light.jpg

I also took some videos and posted them on youtube:

YouTube - 30g Long CO2 High Light 1 of 3

YouTube - 30g Long CO2 High Light 2 of 3

YouTube - 30g Long CO2 High Light 3 of 3

Set up:
Tank: 30g Long
Lights: Coralife 36" 96watt Compact Fluorescent
CO2: 2bps - 5lb pressurized diffused through powerhead
Substrate: Playsand with root tabs for Amazon Swords
Fertilizers: KNO3, KH2PO4, Plantex csm+b (EI Dosing)
Fish: 1 Large Angelfish and 1 Upside-down catfish
Plants: Amazon Sword, Cabomba, Red Ludwigia, Moneywort, Water Wisteria, and Frill

Eventually I will add some more fish, yes. I have a clown loach in my 10g that I need to catch again and put back in the 30g. I'm sure I'll rip my vals and swords up when I go to catch him so I've been putting it off.

I'm debating about adding a pair of some larger fish (apistos etc) or just going with some type of tetra. My LFS has a nice school of Penguin Tetras that I have been eying up for about a week now. I've heard mixed things on them so I'm watching them to see if any get beat up while in the LFS's tanks.

The old picture was taken on a LG Dare. New picture was taken on a Droid. Video was shot with a Sony Webbie in 720p, some were taken with macro mode on.

Yeah and going from 20 watts to 96 might have something to do with it. :) You can actually see the corners now. LOL.

After a week of EI dosing and fiddling with my co2 I have finally got my plants to pearl! I must be doing something right!

frill pearling.jpg

It is the plants releasing oxygen. Pearling usually is due to a high rate of photosynthesis, forced by higher intensity lighting, co2, etc.

Big Update

"This thread is more than 401 days old..." I think that means I'm in need of an update! I'll try to keep the text short and get right to the pictures.

A few notes... I swapped the substrate from Playsand to Eco Complete last night. The plants are not - by any means - in their final place. I just wanted to try some in different areas of the tank and see how they looked. I plan on a 'lawn' of blyxa, with stargrass behind it (stargrass coming in this week), to right side and the majority of the stems on the left side. Hardscape (rocks & dw) are in the works just ran out of time last night.

Equipment:
30g Long
40lbs Eco Complete
96 Watt Coralife Compact Fluorescent 6700K
5lb Pressurized CO2
Red Sea 500 CO2 Reactor
DIY PPS Pro Auto Dosers (Build thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/diy-auto-doser-build-143431.html)

Fish:
1 Female Koi Angelfish (Pterophyllum sp.)
1 Upside-down Catfish (Synodontis nigriventris)
5 Von Rio Tetras (Hyphessobrycon flammeus)
3 Otos (Otocinclus affinis)

Plants:
Blyxa Japonica
Ludwigia repens
Limnophila Aromatica
Lindernia Rotundifolia 'Variegated'
Eichhornia Diversifolia
Some others but I forget the names of at the moment...

Plants coming in this week:
Stargrass (Heteranthera zosterifolia)
Mermaid Weed (Proserpinaca palustris)
Myriophyllum mattogrossense
Ammania Senegalensis

Pictures:

Drained and cleaned:
12085-albums125-picture10511.jpg

40lbs of Eco Complete added:
12085-albums125-picture10512.jpg

Water filled halfway:
12085-albums125-picture10513.jpg

Planted:
12085-albums125-picture10515.jpg

Left Side:
12085-albums125-picture10516.jpg

Right Side:
12085-albums125-picture10517.jpg

Close up:
12085-albums125-picture10518.jpg

Continued...

Big Update Continued...

Corner Shot:
12085-albums125-picture10519.jpg

Other Corner Shot:
12085-albums125-picture10520.jpg

FTS:
12085-albums125-picture10521.jpg

FTS w/ 20H Light on:
12085-albums125-picture10522.jpg

I'll update more as I get things scaped the way I want it. Thanks for looking! :)

Haha, yeah. Didn't realize it had been set up that long.

The plants are just basically thrown in there, like I said. It looks pretty horrible, IMHO, right now. Hopefully tonight I can get it straightened out and looking a little more presentable.

I'll have plenty of trimmings here shortly that I plan on offering only on this site. IMO, we need more plant sales in the classifieds area! :)

Yes... I am going to have some before long too. Maybe we can do some tradin' ;)

Well, regardless of YHO, MHO is that your tank looks fantastic.

I'll probably have some leftovers from my shipments this week. I will probably have extra blyxa and stargrass at this point. I think my hardscape is going to take up more room than I initially thought.

Thanks for the kind words Jonathan!

Back
Top Bottom