33 gallon Salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ternaldo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone out there. Im going to turn my brothers 33 gallon tank into a salt water tank. I just really need some advice on where to go from here. Im just at the starting point and I need advice every step of the way. I was hoping you guys could help me out with this. Im not looking to turn this into a reef tank with snails or crabs or shrimp but I would like so coral and such so I was hoping you guys could steer me into the right direction if you could be so kind. Thanks a million in advance.

First off Welcome to AA.com .... by far the best informational site out there :wink: ! Don't trust a word your LFS will tell you, if you have any doubts come here and ask first!

First thing you wanna do is start here ...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showfaq.php?fldAuto=2

Filtration - For Biological filtration For a 33 gallon tank your looking at about 70lbs of Live Rock (more is better) and probably around 60 some pounds of sand ... that is if your looking for a nice DSB! you could also get some mechanical filtration i.e. HOB filter or a canister style filter, or sump/wet-dry filter if you want the best!

Flow and circulation - Look at getting some Maxi-Jet Powerheads, probably 2 1200's should be good for you tank as I'm not real sure on dimensions of the tank!

Lighting - I read you want some corals and such? Depending on what specie of coral your looking at PC lighting for lower end corals and MH lighting for your SPS and Clams. This is the most confusing part of the SW hobby IMO and requires a lot of research and knowing exactly where your going with your tank! Different corals have different lighting requirements so research what you want and then ask for more help.

For anything else .... you'll need SW test kits, Refractometer for measuring salinity (spend the extra money and stay away from hydrometer), cleaning tools i.e. mag float glass squegee (not sponge from the grocery store) and what has been real handy for me a couple wooden skewers that I use to move things around or flip overturned snails .... which brings me too

Snails and crabs and shrimp ... you say you don't want any in your tank, but trust me they are vital to have! Turbo Snails will eat the algea on your glass and Nassarius snails will sift your sand. Hermit Crabs will consume leftover food particles and also help with algea control. Shrimp depending on type are beneficial as well, Skunk Cleaner Shrimp will help keep your fish clean from parasites and also do a great job of scavenging for leftover food. You'll need them ... don't skimp on them!

I think I may have forgot some stuff but if you read through the articles provided in the link I gave you that should also help and always ask more questions!!!

Good Luck and enjoy the hobby ... it is truly rewarding! :wink:

The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta, or The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner is the best place to start IMO. Read. Then read some more. Then ask questions, and maybe read some more

I also agree about the snails, crabs, and shrimp. They will help maintain certain balances in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom